Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Tons of demos and experiments but how to share?
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-1-2014 at 08:39

Interesting indeed, thanks for posting. I do a science stage show for local schools, and resources like this are invaluable for finding new material to use.

Side note: I see that this publication uses the "water notation" - i.e. CoCl2*6H2O is called cobalt(II) chloride-6-water instead of the more familar (to me) cobalt(II) chloride hexahydrate. It's really off-putting. To my ear it sounds like a dumbing-down of the scientific language. It takes 5 minutes to learn the number prefixes (di-, tri-, hexa-, etc.) and that "hydrate" means water.

[Edited on 1-15-2014 by MrHomeScientist]
quantumchromodynamics
Hazard to Self

Mood: tired but still trying

[*] posted on 16-1-2014 at 21:03
a document management system

I would be happy to donate a document management system to assist with this work. It has a very nice document capture feature that allows you to scan documents in batches and assemble and fix pages using drag and drop. Please U2U me if interested.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 16-1-2014 at 21:21

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
To my ear it sounds like a dumbing-down of the scientific language. It takes 5 minutes to learn the number prefixes (di-, tri-, hexa-, etc.) and that "hydrate" means water.

I hate it, too, but this allows us to name hydrates with fractional water molecules, and allows us to use the same principle for other solvates, such as things crystallized with ethanol or acetone.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2014 at 03:12

Quote: Originally posted by quantumchromodynamics  
I would be happy to donate a document management system to assist with this work. It has a very nice document capture feature that allows you to scan documents in batches and assemble and fix pages using drag and drop. Please U2U me if interested.

Well, if there is sufficient interest in willing to try this again. I have a scanner with a paper feed so what might be easier is to cut the pages out with an x-acto knife and just let Acrobat scan them into a PDF.

Previously I was turning the pages and pressing the book very hard onto a flatbed scanner since the area near the spine was a pain in the arse to capture. Then I'll just 3-hole punch the pages and stick them in a binder.

If Acrobat proves to not work the way I think I can get it to work (scanner only does one side scanning, not sure how to go about scanning even and odd numbered pages and merging them properly while not ripping my hair out of my head in frustration) then I might take you up on the offer, thanks!

[Edited on 17-1-2014 by Mailinmypocket]
NOV:5
Harmless

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 14:57

Cool, thanks

Remember, Remember...
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 15:58

Count me interested.
Come to think of it, I am half way through scanning a couple of books of lab demos too. Probably nothing as exciting as these. But I can post them up when done.
(There. Now that that's said, I have some incentive to get onto the second book.)
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 16:17

Just a idea for future, The main camera I use (dads) makes huge files for each pic but has alot of resolution, we also have a Nikon D3s which is 20 something megapixels so again fabulous resolution but massive files.
What I do is take a pic then on a decent size monitor so I can see everything clearly I take a jpeg screen shot :D so it turns a 12 megabyte picture file into a 172 kB file. you just have to make sure you have a good size monitor and off you go.
I know its not exactly on topic but just a tip when taking pics of books, i am currently doing this to all my books to upload
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 18:17

Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  
Just a idea for future, The main camera I use (dads) makes huge files for each pic but has alot of resolution, we also have a Nikon D3s which is 20 something megapixels so again fabulous resolution but massive files.
What I do is take a pic then on a decent size monitor so I can see everything clearly I take a jpeg screen shot :D so it turns a 12 megabyte picture file into a 172 kB file. you just have to make sure you have a good size monitor and off you go.
I know its not exactly on topic but just a tip when taking pics of books, i am currently doing this to all my books to upload

I can pretty much guarantee that there will be a setting in your camera to save the pictures as .jpg images. If you want to keep the uncompressed images though, you can use paint to save the images as .jpg's, and resize them downwards if needed. Either method is more efficient than saving a screenshot, although it is *possible* that the screenshot method could have a slight edge in speed.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 21:25

There is software out there that will resize images in batch. Or, you could just reduce the resolution in the camera settings.
I scan using a photocopier/scanner that saves as a multi-page pdf.
pneumatician
Hazard to Others

Mood: ■■■■■■■■■■ INRI ■■■■■■■■■■ ** Igne Natura Renovatur Integra **

[*] posted on 24-10-2014 at 16:49

hello put this part: chemiluminescence in cayenne pepper!

for build a ebook you need a soft like PDFill

take the pics with around 1800 pixels!

also cool experiments in old numbers of popsci mag! bet. 1930-48
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top