Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fluorapatite (Ca5(PO4)3F) Procurement
Architeuthiskid
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 09:51
Fluorapatite (Ca5(PO4)3F) Procurement

I have a reaction I've been investigating that requires the use of fluorapatite, or some other similar compound of the form Ca5(PO4)3X, where the 'X' is a simple anion with a 1- charge. Does anyone know where I could buy some at a reasonable purity? All of the suppliers I've checked are only shipping to labs.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 11:08

You may wish to consider some methods of preparation. For example:

10Ca(OH)2 + 6H3PO4 = Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2↓ + 18H2O

See link:
http://aaa.nevada.edu/other/trp16_3.pdf

Source: "Final Report #1
Summary of optimal conditions of fluorapatite synthesis and optimal waste loading; principal features of apatite-based ceramic"
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 19:19

Quote: Originally posted by Architeuthiskid  
some other similar compound of the form Ca5(PO4)3X, where the 'X' is a simple anion with a 1- charge.
Hydroxylapatite, where X = OH-, is a major component of bones and teeth. Fluoride substitution for the hydroxyl group in this mineral is why there's fluoride in your toothpaste and water. In olden times, these would have been in plentiful supply and possibly even of adequate purity.

That wikipedia page has the more modern answer to your question, which is that hydroxylapatite is available as a food supplement, a calcium source derived from bone meal. (FWIW, that was news to me.)

Go To Top