Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: good column packing material
nerdalert226
Harmless

Mood: Bose-Einstien Condensate

[*] posted on 9-5-2012 at 16:44
good column packing material

what would substitute well for expensive column packing used for refluxing?
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 9-5-2012 at 22:14

What exactly are planning on? Are you trying to substitute a dry column for a condenser to reflux a reaction mixture? If so consider column height, ambient temperature, reaction temperature for starters. I sometimes use a straight column about 700 mm. If you're simply returning solvent to the reactor you probably don't want to pack the column because you're not trying to separate vapors. You want a homogeneous vapor head as much as possible. Just make the column high enough to return the vapor. A fan might help if water is simply unavailable. I have a Dewar condenser for that kind of situation. You would keep it cold with ice cubes and water. Replace the ice as needed. More information will allow us to be more helpful. Good luck with your project. BTW I once turned wine into 100 proof brandy using a pyrex coffee pot and a beaker with the coffee pot lid inverted and ice inside it. It was tedious with constantly replacing the ice and siphoning off the water.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
nerdalert226
Harmless

Mood: Bose-Einstien Condensate

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 04:26

Thanks for the reply! I will probably not need column packing since i will not need to separate the vapors.
mycotheologist
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 12:36

Steel wool is dirt cheap.

Go To Top