Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Have a ton of old (~1940-1970) Chemistry/Chemical Engineering books. Requesting information on them...
Chem_Eng
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-5-2012 at 11:54
Have a ton of old (~1940-1970) Chemistry/Chemical Engineering books. Requesting information on them...

Hey,

I have come into possession of about 20-30 old chemistry and chemical engineering books. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about them. I want to know if any of them could possibly be worth anything. The oldest publication date I saw was 1899, but most were published between 1940 and 1970.

Pictures can be seen here - http://imgur.com/a/PEtIn#15

I just want to know if any are valuable so I know if there's any I should stash away or sell. I doubt any of them are worth anything, though, which brings me to my next question: Which of these are worth keeping and are there any that the field has changed so much that reading these for educational purposes would be counter-productive?

If you need any more info on any of them (publisher, exact dates) let me know.

Thank you
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 14-5-2012 at 16:26

I only recognize one of those books, ie, "Transport Phenomena, " which we all hated as the problems were so difficult. So, I can't really comment on their value.

Olaf Hougen, together with Watson and Ragatz, wrote some good Chem Engr textbooks in my time ('60s).

It's interesting that many of the books were translated from Russian.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem

Go To Top