Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What practical experiments can I do with Calcium Oxide
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-6-2012 at 11:06
What practical experiments can I do with Calcium Oxide

Could anybody lend me some pointers as to what practical reactions I could do with Calcium Oxide please?

Just looking for perhaps experiments that have some interesting and informative purposes (which I suppose thinking about it all experiments have that).

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
mineralman
Hazard to Self

Mood: complicated

[*] posted on 15-6-2012 at 11:15

make calcium carbonate useing carbon dioxide
make calcium hydroxide
the usual suspects. try googling it
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 17-6-2012 at 02:08

CaO is a very useful and strong dehydrating agent. Good for organic reactions that you don't want to get contaminated with water/absorbing water in an reaction to shift a particular equilibrium forward. An example would be using it to obtain solid pure Na ethoxide via the reaction of NaOH with ethanol, which is in an equilibrium. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_ethoxide). Wikipedia states that the reaction proceeds as: NaOH+C2H5OH<===>NaC2H5O+H2O. Without an dehydrating agent, a mix of NaOH and ethoxide exists, but the dehydrating agents consumes as product, the water, and shifts the equilibrium to the right.

Another one would be the on-site generation of Ca(OH)2, which can dissolve in acids to give Ca2+ ions, which might be useful for certain things. A small amount of Ca(OH)2 could also dissolve in solution and act as a test for CO2. Another would be the reaction of it with carbon at high temperatures to create CaC2, which reacts with water to form acetylene, a reactive species of hydrocarbon.
mineralman
Hazard to Self

Mood: complicated

[*] posted on 17-6-2012 at 02:51

ALSO, LOOK IN THE SITES LIBRARY, theres some good stuff in there, theres one with calcium oxide+soil in a contiunous nitric acid electro process IIRC MM
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2012 at 10:41

Thankyou. That last one about calcium ions was useful to know, thanks all.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2012 at 13:20

Quote: Originally posted by mineralman  
ALSO, LOOK IN THE SITES LIBRARY, theres some good stuff in there, theres one with calcium oxide+soil in a contiunous nitric acid electro process IIRC MM

Hi, did a search for calcium oxide in the search box here but only got about 10 hits, most of them dealing with calcium hydroxide. Does the site have a reference library then that I do not have access to. I notice that I can not access the references on this site. Is there special status required for this?

Go To Top