Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lava sediment in Ferric Nitrate solution
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-6-2012 at 10:57
Lava sediment in Ferric Nitrate solution

Hallo, I had left one of my Ferric Nitrate solutions for two weeks and discovered just today that there is a sort of worm like lava movement midway in the solution, when shaking the bottle it turned the solution cloudy then precipitated again.

I wondered if this was the Fe2 ion and so added my last remaining Hydrogen peroxide to the solution. It bubbled reasonably aggressively from about 2/3rds of the way up the bottle, you can clearly see a division between where the bubbles are eminating from a dark brown and the lava like sediment that moves majestically on the bottom 1/3 of the bottle, and the clearer brown liquid resting on top of all this. Since a tiny portion of this sediment already existed in the bottle I am assuming that the H2O2 speeded up an already ongoing reaction.

To re-iterate, the bottom 1/3 of the solution is a deeper yellow-brown than the top 2/3rds of the solution which is clearer.

Trouble is I am not sure what this reaction was? Could it be that the Fe2 ion is being oxidized to Fe3 ion and finally I am getting the Ferric 3 Nitrate?

[Edited on 17-6-2012 by CHRIS25]

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 17-6-2012 at 11:18

Solutions containing the Fe3+ ion often form precipitates when exposed to air for extended periods of time. It is most likely a mix of iron oxides and hydroxides.
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-6-2012 at 13:13

Mmm...Ok thankyou mnick, well Having tried everything I know about making ferric nitrate I guess this really is an experiment to be abandoned.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)

Go To Top