Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium percarbonate and Hydrogen Peroxide.
MR AZIDE
Hazard to Self

Mood: Fizzing

[*] posted on 27-6-2012 at 11:23
Sodium percarbonate and Hydrogen Peroxide.

I saw some 'oxy action ' stain remover stuff in the pound store the other day. 500 g of powder, Ingredients only listed as Sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate, on bottle.

MSDS: http://www.litelines.co.uk/downloads/RC0615.pdf

Apparently 100% Sodium percarbonate can be available to public also.
I had actually not heard of this stuff, but it seems interesting>

Its basically sodium carbonate, with the water of crystallization replaced with free hydrogen peroxide. Dissolving in water it dissociates into sodium, carbonate ions and free hydrogen peroxide ;

2Na2CO3.3H2O2 --> 4Na+ + 2CO32- + 3H2O2

Adding some MnO2 to the raw solution of the product would be a cheap and easy OTC way for making oxygen gas.

Now , the question is, how do we get the 3H2O2
from this.?

[Edited on 27-6-2012 by MR AZIDE]

[Edited on 27-6-2012 by MR AZIDE]
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 27-6-2012 at 11:28

Nah, it isn't a good source of oxygen. It says "sodium percarbonate", but there's something else. It's not pure.

It's basically one of those cleaning-frenzy fads. Yay, oxygen! No nasty chlorine! Blue! White! Sky! Bubbles! :D

-_-

Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 27-6-2012 at 11:41

I have sodium percarbonate as a cleaning product, but it is only 30%. The rest is probably ordinary sodium carbonate.

Rest In Pieces!
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 27-6-2012 at 22:55

The so-called oxygenated cleaning powder is not really useful in the lab. Too many impurities and the amount of free hydrogen peroxide is low, at most a few percent.

On eBay you can buy pure sodium percarbonate from certain UK-based sellers and that material indeed is good. From this material you can extract quite a lot of oxygen.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
MR AZIDE
Hazard to Self

Mood: Fizzing

[*] posted on 28-6-2012 at 11:33

I went and bought some of this oxy cleaner stuff today for a tinker.. I found it at 625 g of the stuff for only a quid, so I thought what is there to lose?. This is different to the Vanish Oxy stuff, made by some cheap o company probably, contains less fancy additives to keep the cost down. It contained no colorant or perfume. Ill need to see if there is an MSDS.

I set up a 100ml round quick fit flask, with stillhead, and adding tap funnel. The receiver adapter was lead into a bath of water, into a beehive shelf, for collecting the evolved Oxygen in some 100ml conical flasks.

About 10 small spatulas worth of the product was put into the round flask, with a couple of spatulas of some manganese(ii) oxide as catalyst, The powders were mixed, untill it was uniformly pale grey.

The instance of adding the first dribble of water from the funnel, fairly vigorous effervescence too place. The O2 was liberated at a reasonable rate and very constant rate. The reaction flask heated up a fair bit.
Enough Oxygen was collected to fairly quickly fill 4 of the conical flasks. The 5th was filled slowly as the reaction finished. I dare-say I could have collected another 1 or 2 flasks of O2.
Most of the white powder was consumed, and the black MnO2 remained unreacted, as the catalyst.

The reaction was previously done, and filled many test tubes, each vigorously re-lighting the glowing splint.

I intent to redo this experiment with the flasks to show the Grandkids, next time they are around ( the setup, the reaction and gas production, and the glowing splint stuff), a 100 mL flask will relight the glowing splint many more times than is contained in a single test tube., which will add to the impressiveness of the Oxygen's re awakening of a burning splint.

So, for an incredibly cheap OTC way for making O2 gas, Id say this oxy cleaner product, Is worth a quid or two........ Although, Its not worth though trying to get H2O2 out of it I'd agree.

EDIT 100% Sodium Percarbonate is sold In UK As Wizz Oxi Ultra, Sold in supermarkets and Pound stores. The stuff I bought was Plain Wizz Oxi powder, which contains some plain sodium Carbonate.
I know Hexavalent is an avid OTC scout, so he may find this interesting.:D
[Edited on 28-6-2012 by MR AZIDE]

[Edited on 28-6-2012 by MR AZIDE]

Go To Top