Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Odd Result for Haloform Reaction
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 10:46
Odd Result for Haloform Reaction

I added 2L of generic household bleach (about 5%, recently used for the prep of crude triiodomethane with good results) to a 3L Erlenmeyer and set outside. A ring stand was set up above it and 40ml acetone, recently distilled, was added to the top. It was added into the flask, with occasional swirling, at a rate of a few drops per minute. Towards the end, it was increased to short bursts every five minutes. The liquid went cloudy as expected. The reaction vessel felt slightly warm, and was placed in a bucket surrounded with ice packs and water to stand. A watchglass was placed over the top.

The mixture was allowed to sit for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally with a long glass tube. I pulled out the flask after this time to inspect it and found that a white solid was on the bottom of my flask. What is this? Any ideas?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Fossil
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 11:27

Maybe NaOH or Na(CH3COO) since they are the only salts produced [CH3COCH3 + 3NaOCl --> CHCl3 + 2NaOH + Na(CH3COO)], however that is extremely unlikely unless you lost liters worth of water during the reaction. The more likely reason is that you have a contaminant in your bleach.

[Edited on 2012-7-2 by Fossil]
Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 11:59

That's what I thought....is there a way to determine the assay of my bleach using medium-advanced chemicals and equipment, to find out what's going on?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
barley81
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 12:02

Are you absolutely sure that it is a solid? The suspension of chloroform produced by the reaction can sometimes look like a solid is settling out.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 12:55

It could well be - I'll have a look tomorrow and investigate further. It looked like a fine powder earlier, but you could be right.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 00:19

Is the household bleach a thin non-viscous liquid? Where I live, there are two kinds of bleach. We have the cheap stuff, which is liquid like water and we have somewhat more expensive stuff, which is quite viscous and which sticks to surfaces such that the bleach acts on the surface for a longer time. Both contain the same amount of NaOCl. For chemical experiments, the cheap stuff is useful, the other stuff contains too much crap and is not suitable for chemical experiments at all. Maybe your bleach also contains contaminants like what I described?

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 06:55

I had performed this experiment a few months ago, but I used NaOH + ethanol + iodine.
The stuff that forms looks almost white at first. It settled at the bottom. As the months go by, I it gets yellower and so does the solution on top of it.

The picture on wikipedia looks extremely green but I saw another picture that prepared iodoform the same way I did. It looks almost white, just like mine.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 10:44

Are you referring to chloroform or iodoform, vmelkon?

Go To Top