Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crystals forming outside (Citric acid)?
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-7-2012 at 01:05
Crystals forming outside (Citric acid)?

Hi, I made as close as possible to concentrated citric acid (3mol) about 10 days ago, I unscrewed both Plastic tops and they were covered inside with white crystals; The bottles previously contained distilled white vinegar, bought, and was 5%. it seemed a logically secure idea to use these bottles for citric acid.

They are stored, by the way, next to copper acetates and ammonium acetates - hydrates. And behind these are a few containers of sodium hydroxide anhydrous.
So all in all I do not know why this happened.

I bet one of you do though...as usual.....

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
adamsium
Hazard to Others

Mood: uprooting

[*] posted on 20-7-2012 at 01:54

It sounds like the crystals are just the citric acid. It's not uncommon when growing crystals for the crystals to grow up and over the side of the crystallising dish. Although the solutions were in closed containers, you said you put them outside (where I presume it gets cold). Since the solubility of citric acid in water likely decreases as temperature decreases (I can't find the data on this at the moment, sorry) and you made a close-to-saturated solution, some of the citric acid likely began to crystallise out, ultimately creeping from the liquid surface level up the inside of the bottle and on to the inside of the lid.
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-7-2012 at 04:46

Ok, my first thought, but just wanted to make sure. though no it is not outside, but indoors.

[Edited on 20-7-2012 by CHRIS25]

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)

Go To Top