Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Dissolving Bismuth, the road to Sodium Bismuthate, and other uses.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-11-2010 at 19:00

Quote: Originally posted by IrC  
I cannot tell even holding the book what the missing part of the page is (end of first 3 or 4 Bi entries on p 563).
It's only the last character and a half that are missing. The equations are balanced, and the missing piece is recoverable by stoichiometry. In the third equation, the effaced character is just a plus sign. The first one is the only other one that's missing anything. It seems to be this:
Quote:
2 Bi(3+) + 3 CH3COS(-) + 3 H2O = 3 H(+) + 3 CH3COOH + Bi2S3
QuarkyManor
Harmless

Mood: Peachy

[*] posted on 18-12-2010 at 04:23

Quote: Originally posted by IrC  
I doubt Bromic is still interested in a 6 year old thread but I just found the book I lost years ago. I had planned on scanning the Bi info to post here. I guess better late than never.

I wanted to post the bigger scans to show the subscript numbers more clearly but the board will not allow them.

[Edited on 11-10-2010 by IrC]

IrC what is the title of that book?
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 18-12-2010 at 08:19

chemeq1.jpg - 32kB

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
hkparker
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-12-2010 at 10:42

Ive made bismuth salts before, including bismuth (III) oxide. My method involved dissolving bismuth in hot nitric acid. I user RFNA the first time and had trouble with passivation, but I dont think its a problem with 70% nitric acid. In any case if the reaction slows and the acid goes clear try adding water, if its not done the reaction will resume. So after all the acid was consumes I slowly and carefully added sodium hydroxide and heated. I got a large amount of yellow bismuth oxide. I can upload pictures if youd like, or you can see the video I did on this for my youtube channel, let me know and ill send you a link.
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 04:38

Yesterday I tried to make potassium bismuthate, and it worked.

I made a solution of 7g of KOH in 10ml of water. I added 2g of Bi2O3 and I heated the solution to boiling. When the solution was boiling I passed chlorine in, until chlorine started to escape from the solution. The yellow bismuth trioxide turned violet-brown during the oxidation. The solution was dumped in 200ml of cold water. The cold water was decanted, and the precipitate washed with 100ml of cold water. A solution of chrome alum was made, and the paste of bismuthate added. The solution was boiled for 2 minutes, and on cooling, a yellow solution of chromate was revealed.

I'm planning to do a preparative scale synthesis soon.

I never asked for this.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top