Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Platinum and Catalytic Converters
electrokinetic
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 13:40
Platinum and Catalytic Converters

Someone, please, tell me what the catch is here.

There are guys on ebay selling catalytic converters for $80 and saying that theres a full ounce of platinum recoverable. Sounds too easy if one is able to get their hands on some aqua regia. If life has taught me one thing, it's that if something sounds too good to be true, it almost always is.

I'm asking here because I couldn't find a previous post on this topic, and all google comes up with is more people selling catalytic converters. I'm not one to take the snake oil salesman at his word...

[Edited on 24-7-2012 by electrokinetic]
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 24-7-2012 at 07:16

I doubt that there is 1 ounce.
These guys pay 200$
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HCQgiyzssE

and considering that there is rhodium and palladium too (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter).

so if I assume that there is 400$ of combined metals (platinum, palladium, rhodium)
and platinum is 1500$/ounce, palladium is 1700$/ounce and not sure about rhodium,

for sure, there is less than 0.5 ounce (14 g) of platinum in there.

Zan Divine
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wishing all the worst that life has to offer to that SOB Wayne Lapierre

[*] posted on 24-7-2012 at 16:51

You also have to remember that just because the value of the combined metals may be x dollars, you won't get anywhere near that value when you sell it. The refining costs can be substantial.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of some of the pain of being a man. --HST

Laethageal
Harmless

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 30-7-2012 at 12:38

Aftermarket cats contain almost no PGM. That's the reason you can buy one brand new for 150-350$. OEM ones have more precious metal in them, but with new technologies, the amounts keep getting lower. If you are looking in leaching Pgm from cats, buy OEM cats from 1995 and before from totalled car without high mileage

[Edited on 31-7-2012 by Laethageal]

Go To Top