Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Urgent!
ChemistryGhost
Hazard to Others

Mood: Supercooled :cool:

sad.gif posted on 22-8-2012 at 12:16
Urgent!

Is there anyone here who completed high school that haven't gone to prom? The world seems to be divided into two general groups. Those who gone to the prom and end up doing successful things (or at least get by), and those who didn't go to prom and generally end up not doing much.
Is there anyone here who finished high school but didn't go to prom? I can't find any scientists or researchers who finished high school that didn't go to prom. It's like I'm pre-destined to fail just because I didn't go to a stupid prom. High school were the WORST years of my life. Am I really destined to fail? Do I give up and go jump off a bridge because I didn't go to prom and all of my past and present efforts at knowledge and success are futile? Is prom really THE determining factor to a better future? So will I only have a loser life? I'm sorry for wasting 20 or more minutes of your life. :(
I'm asking because people here seem so much smarter, happier and somehow successful.
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-8-2012 at 12:41

Relax, there are plenty more people out there like yourself than you realise. Not all of them are losers.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-8-2012 at 12:55

I consider myself successful and yet I never went to prom... I just didn't feel like going, along with a few other good friends. We instead had a party, got drunk and enjoyed ourselves and I turned out to be (what I consider) successful.

I hated high school too as well as disliked lots of people there and didn't fit in, so there was no motivation to go to prom with a bunch of dummies!

Don't worry about it :) I'm positive going to one little evening out is the main deciding factor for the outcome of your life
Sublimatus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-8-2012 at 13:09

I think one of the most important factors in living a successful and satisfying life is being comfortable with yourself and your preferences.

I promise you there's not secret universal law that states that you will fail if you do not go. If you think going to prom is important for yourself, then go. Don't go if you're simply responding to cultural and peer expectations. The sooner you learn to follow your own internal guidance, the sooner you can be comfortable in your own skin.

Personally, I did not go to prom and I can see no way in which that decision has impacted my success one way or another. I understand that these sorts of things can seem very important when you're younger, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just realize it's nothing to lose your head over.

I'm curious, is there a list somewhere of scientists who did and did not go to prom?
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 22-8-2012 at 13:13

Don't worry about it. There's a long life after high school, and there will be a million opportunities for you to make something of your life. Other things are far, far more important than a prom.
Try to believe in yourself. Don't look at others, whether there are countless people that didn't go to prom that are having a great life or not.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-8-2012 at 13:26

I'm not planning on going to prom for reasons I won't go into, but it's not the worst thing in the world. After all, if I have even half an idea of what prom is like, I would much rather stay home and do chemistry instead. I have better music at home, anyway.
triplepoint
Hazard to Others

Mood: in equilibrium

[*] posted on 22-8-2012 at 13:35

My prom was many years ago. I didn't go, and don't believe it hurt me. Whether you are successful is going to be determined much more by your self-confidence, work ethic and attitude toward others. Trust yourself.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-8-2012 at 14:08

they could not have forced me to go at gunpoint. i never went to a prom, homecoming, school dance or any school related function that i considered to be intended "for the masses". follow your desires and you will be fine. i took industrial metals for four years and auto shop for two years and ended up with jobs that reflected these skill sets. the only thing going to such functions says about a person is that they can follow the rest of the sheep.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 22-8-2012 at 14:11

I went to prom, and got laid after, and am not a "success" by most's accounts. That should relieve some of your worries.

Relax a bit. In a few years youll see that all the troubles you had in HS were acually trivial and even though they seemed world shattering at the time, there are of little concern in the long run.

Good luck in all your endeavors.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 22-8-2012 at 14:29

I went to prom, it was fun, but not worth the money it cost to go :(. There are plenty of better things you can do with your life other than go to prom.

bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-8-2012 at 18:05

I didn't go to HS prom, what with being 16 (skipped a grade) and small for my age I would have had a hard time finding a date. Uh, why do you think this matters for the rest of life? Some people no doubt have fond memories but no one *else* really cares about your prom experience or lack thereof.
Also, Whimsy?

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 23-8-2012 at 17:39

OK, the only real link between the prom and success, if anything, is the fact that better looking people are more likely to go to the prom (or at least be asked), and also to get a job over even more obviously qualified peers! This is just the biology of attraction.

There was an instance where all members of my team interviewed a hot chick and wanted to hire her, except me, I had some reservations. However, we did ask all candidates to create (on the spot) a small essay about themselves (as writing ability was one factor in the job), and the results of this test indicated that she had the writing ability of someone in grammar school. She didn't get the job, but it was scary on how close she came.
ChemistryGhost
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-8-2012 at 05:29

I feel better than I did before. I didn't go to the prom. Prom just seemed pointless to me and I didn't get why so many people at the time made it seem like your whole life depended on it. Then again, these were trivial people with generally little interest in science and the complexity of the universe. I don't feel completely better, but I think I will in a few weeks. Thank you all for the replies! It's almost like those who go to prom follow the masses and are blinded by the slow plausible imprisonment of their minds. Like a self regulating sheep pressuring you to waste 90 plus minutes of your life that you most likely will be brainwashed by. If you went but didn't enjoy(or didn't go), then you already started to see through the limited mentality concept.
This is your last chance. After this there is no turning back.
You take the [blue drink]. The story ends. You go to prom. You wake up at your prom and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the [red drink]. You don't go to prom(or at least find it dull). You stay in wonderland and I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
Remember! All I'm offering is the truth, nothing more.

Morpheus.png - 460kB

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" ~Einstein
ChemistryGhost
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-8-2012 at 05:32

Blue drink=lie Red drink=Truth

Red Drink Blue Drink.png - 203kB

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 24-8-2012 at 12:00

Now youre insinuating that those of us that enjoyed prom are blind sheep.

another false correlation...

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2012 at 12:30

Quote: Originally posted by ChemistryGhost  
Blue drink=lie Red drink=Truth

If you feel you will get something worthwhile and enjoyable out of going to prom, go.

If not, dont go.

It doesn't affect the outcome of your life and oh my god, why is even a thread?
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 25-8-2012 at 09:36

Shut it down. This thread is consuming to much electricity.
ChemistryGhost
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2012 at 14:35

I don't understand why the media glorifies the prom so much. If it doesn't affect your life, then why does the media and so many people want you to go? If you believe it doesn't affect your life, then go. But I don't see the point in going. I'm suspicious. Here's just a random theory that most will find fictional. The prom has hidden symbolism, subliminal music, dancing and of course the prom date. If you go alone, you'll likely be made fun of. People go with their prom date and your brain releases oxytocin. This makes you not only trust the prom date, but it will make you trust subliminal messages that your conscious mind do not detect. It will make you dislike and reject others that are not your prom date. How do you explain that they usually don't let you bring your friends. If you don't go with a prom date, you don't release chemicals like oxitocin and are more able to resist subliminal messages. Furthermore, drinking punch can further strengthen the resistance to subliminal messages (only works if you didn't bring the prom date you enjoy). Why then do they want you to limit the punch you drink at the prom and focus on your prom date and prom. Do they want you to stay away from the alerting and antioxidant properties of vitamin C? It seems so. If you believe you can see, then like everyone else you apear to be right. After all, surely millions and millions of people must be right. Enjoy! :cool:

Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2012 at 15:00

No.

Once you start spinning conspiracy theories about prom, that's the sign to stop the conversation.
ChemistryGhost
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2012 at 15:17

Quote: Originally posted by Vargouille  
No.

Once you start spinning conspiracy theories about prom, that's the sign to stop the conversation.

No one's forcing you to believe them! :cool:

weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 25-8-2012 at 16:03

Quote: Originally posted by ChemistryGhost  
Quote: Originally posted by Vargouille  
No.

No one's forcing you to believe them! :cool:

So? Spun-off conspiracy theories do not have a place in this forum.

Go To Top