Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Suspicious company
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 06:21

Key quote from that article:

Enforcement Administration special agent advised Mac­ Farland (police detective) that the chemicals (RP and I2) are used to make metham­phetamine, and that the agent “was not aware of any other legal justifications for the possession of the chemi­c a l s.” When police raided Rus­sell’s home, no metham­phetamine was found and there was no evidence that any of the illegal drug had been made.
Xanax3
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 06:40

Quote:
Originally posted by pantone159
Key quote from that article:

Enforcement Administration special agent advised Mac­ Farland (police detective) that the chemicals (RP and I2) are used to make metham­phetamine, and that the agent “was not aware of any other legal justifications for the possession of the chemi­c a l s.” When police raided Rus­sell’s home, no metham­phetamine was found and there was no evidence that any of the illegal drug had been made.

And yet, the doc has already been forced to relinquish his medical license, and later this month will still face charges of possession with intent to manufacture, all the same.

Just to make clear: yes, you can and will be charged with felony drug charges for simply acquiring iodine and red phosphorus, absent even an iota of additional evidence of manufacturing pharmaceuticals. Also, state and federal law enforcement agencies indeed ARE perfectly eager to go after small-time nobodys experimenting in their garages, and they certainly will ruthlessly ruin your life.
chromium
Hazard to Others

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 07:09

Looks like there should be some special chemistry books for special agents which tell that only chemical properity of element phosphorus is "can be used to make metamphetamine". All what he learned about chemical elements in scool must be someway erased from his brain.

More seriously, could anyone report after court what sentence is and do they find him quilty at all. Such newspaper articles just want to make exciting read from anything and are not best source for reliable information.
Mr_Benito_Mussolini
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 07:18

I don't think this is a front company - it has been around for too long, and besides, that sort of entrapment doesn't happen in the UK. It is far more likely that the customs are intercepting packages and law authorities are looking at payment details etc. The US has full access to UK banking records for example.
DatheR
Harmless

Mood: constipated

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 08:20

WHOIS Record For
kno3.com

Certified Offer Service - Make an offer on this domain
SSL Certificates - Make this site secure
Site Confirm Seals - Become a trusted Web Site
Registrant:
RAW CHEMICALS INTERNATIONAL LIMITED
ATTN: KNO3.COM
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447 :o What area of the United Kingdom is Herdon, VA located?

Domain Name: KNO3.COM

Administrative Contact :
gr4383e943r@networksolutionsprivateregistration.com
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447 :o
Phone: 570-708-8780 :mad:

Technical Contact :
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447
Phone: 570-708-8780

Record expires on 20-May-2008
Record created on 16-Feb-2005
Database last updated on 15-Mar-2006

Domain servers in listed order: Manage DNS

DNS1.SECURE-SHOPS5.COM 69.44.61.169
DNS2.SECURE-SHOPS5.COM 69.44.61.169

This listing is a Network Solutions Private Registration. Mail correspondence to this address must be sent via USPS Express Mail™ or USPS Certified Mail®; all other mail will not be processed. Be sure to include the registrant's domain name in the address.

Show underlying registry data for this record

Current Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
IP Address: 70.86.144.130 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)-TEXAS-DALLAS :mad: Only two things come outta Texas... steers.. and string operations... and I don't see no horns on you.
Record Type: Domain Name
Server Type: IIS 6
Lock Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK
Web Site Status: Active
DMOZ 1 listings
Y! Directory: see listings
Web Site Title: Welcome to RAW CHEMICALS INTERNATIONAL LIMITED - We Accept All Credit And Debit Cards, Fast Worldwide Shipping, USA & Canada In 3 Days, Insured Postage, Free Shipping In The UK.
Secure: No what kind of "real" store ships internationally but isn't running secure?
E-commerce: Yes
Traffic Ranking: 2
Data as of: 17-Jul-2006

WHOIS Record For
thechemicalshop.com

Registrant:
ATTN: THECHEMICALSHOP.COM
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447 Again with Virginia...
Herndon, VA 20172-0447

Domain Name: THECHEMICALSHOP.COM

Administrative Contact :
c828d39b5wk@networksolutionsprivateregistration.com
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447

Technical Contact :
c828d39b5wk@networksolutionsprivateregistration.com
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447

Record expires on 02-Mar-2007
Record created on 02-Mar-2005

This listing is a Network Solutions Private Registration. Mail correspondence to this address must be sent via USPS Express Mail™ or USPS Certified Mail®; all other mail will not be processed. Be sure to include the registrant's domain name in the address.

IP Address: 217.154.159.18 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
IP Location: UK(UNITED KINGDOM) :D FINALLY something from the UK... or they could just run through an ip address in europe, while sitting at their desk in the DEAs national headquarters....
Server Type: IIS 6
Web Site Status: Active
DMOZ no listings
Web Site Title: Lab Chemicals International Ltd
Meta Description: We sell Red Phosphorus, Acetone and many other chemicals online. Free UK delivery on Acetone and other chemicals. Nitric Acid and Ammonium Nitrate in stock. Potassium Nitrate & DMSO ready to Ship.
Meta Keywords: red phosphorus,potassium nitrate,potassium perchlorate,sulphur powder,iodine crystals,dextrin binder,aluminium powder,magnesium shreds,potassium chlorate,magnesium powder,mercury liquid,mercury metal,acetone,hydrogen peroxide,dmso
Secure: No Not secure... again...
E-commerce: No I believe this means they are not selling anything from this site, you know, like stores and real buisnesses tend to do...
Traffic Ranking: 3
Data as of: 07-Jul-2006

chemicalsman.com

Registrant:
ATTN: CHEMICALSMAN.COM
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447 SHOCK AND AWE... again

Domain Name: CHEMICALSMAN.COM

Administrative Contact :
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447

Technical Contact :
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447

Record expires on 30-Apr-2009
Record created on 07-Feb-2005

NS51.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.190.26
NS52.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.189.26

IP Address: 205.178.145.65 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)-KANSAS-FT. LEAVENWORTH Well, it's a new state... still not in the UK as stated...
Server Type: Indeterminate
DMOZ no listings
Web Site Title: Red Phosphorus and chemical sales
Meta Description: Red Phosphorus, Iodine Crystals a large selection of hard to find chemicals in stock. Order Red Phosphorus today and Red Phosphorus will be shipped today.At KNO3.COM are fast and discreet to deliver. WHAT PART OF THAT DESCRIPTION DOES NOT SCREAM THAT THIS IS A SET UP?!?
Meta Keywords: red phosphorus,potassium nitrate,chloroform,potassium chlorate,potassium perchlorate,potassium permanganate,aluminium powder,aluminum powder,boric acid,iodine crystals,dmso,hydrogen peroxide,laboratory chemicals,magnesium ribbon,red phosphorus uk,red phos
Secure: No Not secure again...
E-commerce: No Not a store... again...
Traffic Ranking: 5
Data as of: 15-May-2006

Face it, this is not just chance searches at customs, this is not having the cops watch for packages by them, this is not even banking records being watched, this is an international string at worst, and a honeypot at best. Stay away from these companies.

DatheR
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 6-8-2006 at 09:13

I don´t know why you copy this crap from Synthetikal over here. To anybody with a brain it is obvious that this is a UK based company which has used an US registrar to regsiter the webpage whats not suspicious at all.

Of course the company has caught the attention of the US authorities and they are for sure on the trail of all mail sent to the US by this company. For this you don´t need anybody inside, just the post office or UPS or whatever.
Having sent iodine and red phosphorus to the USA by a company openly advertising on the web is a bad idea and everybody knows this.

For me this is a company which simply tried to exploit the fact that certain chemicals which are not controlled in the EU are pretty hard to get and outlawed in the USA. Look at the prices! Oh my. And the prices are what speaks most against a setup. If somebody sets up a company for getting after US meth-cooks then he will offer desent prices for not to scare away most of them, for everybody knows that meth-cooks are tight asses. So simple is this.

kno3.com are war profiteers in the WoD whats disgusting in itself but I don´t believe the company was set up as a DEA frontend.

/ORG

Irgendwas is ja immer
ethan_c
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-8-2006 at 13:26

How about this eBay store?

http://stores.ebay.com/Expedited-Chemicals

Heh:
Quote:
Also Available:

Potassium Perchlorate (KClO4)

Potassium Chlorate (KClO3)

1/8" Green Visco fuse

empty photo film containers

Pentaerythritol

Sodium Nitrite

Hexamine

Phosphorous Acid (H3PO3)

Iodine

I would be tempted, if not for the $16 shipping tag. On the other hand, that could be motivation for people to buy a bunch at once…thus screwing themselves even more with the law!
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2006 at 16:29

Yeah, we all need 50lbs of Hexamine and 50lbs of NaNO2 for mad science use on a micro scale.... Oh, and it says contact them via E-mail for information on larger quantities....

Whether they are a legidimate company or not, I'm sure US customs would take a bit of an interest in the above order....

I once ordered a small quantity of KNO3 on E-Bay. According to the listing, the seller was in the US, and only shipped to the US. However, it took about a month to get my order. When I contacted the seller after 2 weeks, they said they thought it might take a while "due to customs". I asked what the f*** they were talking about since they were supposedly a US seller. Turns out they really were in Canada. Seller said used to live in the US when first registered on E-Bay and just hadn't gotten around to updating information yet. Anyway, I finally got it (this was several years ago). I left negative feedback. Seller refunded my purchase price and tried to get me to change it to positive feedback; I changed it only to neutral. And he left the only negative feedback I have ever received out of dozens of transactions on E-Bay. A few months later I noticed my feedback was again all positive. Turns out the seller was "no longer a member of E-Bay", so his feedback no longer counted in my score.

Hodges
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 18-8-2006 at 17:58

The purchases I made from expedited chemicals years ago, I am afraid my come back to haunt me some day. Someone once told me he(Exchem) had been raided by the RCMP a couple times, and if he kept records of who he sold to, the RCMP now knows. Meh. I got KNO3 and some not-to fine mesh metals, and NaOH, nothing too suspicious from them.

[Edited on 19-8-2006 by rogue chemist]
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 12-9-2006 at 07:17

Quote:
Originally posted by rogue chemist
The purchases I made from expedited chemicals years ago, I am afraid my come back to haunt me some day. Someone once told me he(Exchem) had been raided by the RCMP a couple times, and if he kept records of who he sold to, the RCMP now knows. Meh. I got KNO3 and some not-to fine mesh metals, and NaOH, nothing too suspicious from them.

Quite frankly in this day and age don't you think everyone who has ever bought ANY chemicals at all is on some list? I am not a paranoid type and I don't do anything wrong but I deeply believe that most everyone in the US and (most) of the EU who has bought chemicals, labware, or whatever is on some list.
I belong to a bunch of pyrotechnics / rocket clubs, associations, etc. I belong to a university hobbiest assoc. I -=know=- I am on some lists. We live in times where they just keep track of folks, it's as simple as that.
Now I honestly don't know if I had a middle-eastern name if I would feel as I do. I might have some strong feelings about it. but I am willing to bet there is a desk at some goverment entity that tracks even the posts here (and on RS, etc, etc) and logs names, dates, and discussions.
Making a blob of copper carbide and using it for a BP rocket in not going to raise eyebrows in Whitehall, Washington, or Paris. Now the fact that it happens doesn't make it appropriate but what can we do? If we were to avoid this hobby altogether I believe THAT would draw more suspiction than being upfront about what we enjoy and learn about. But with that knowlege comes responsibity. I think there may be a morals and ethics question here (from our perspective, not the governments') as well.

[Edited on 12-9-2006 by quicksilver]

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 4-12-2006 at 10:35

I imagine that there were a lot of kicked-in doors not mentioned in these stories. The press never mentions those. Simply ordering iodine was enough for a search warrant, although possessing I2 is not a crime. I've been warning of this and basically called a paranoid idiot for doing so for some time. I wonder what evidence there is of "meth lab" other than the presence of RP/I in some of these cases.

http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/12/01/without_reliabl...

December 1, 2006
Without Reliable Drug Dealer, Exec Made Own Meth

Did you realize that yesterday's methampetamine lab busts in the city and Suffolk County happened on National Meth Awareness Day? The things you learn!

The Drug Enforcement Agency named the bust "Operation Red Fusion" and targeted the nine meth labs because they used the same online company to buy materials like red phosphorous. The DEA's Administrator Karen P. Tandy said, "The danger of meth labs has spread from Mid-America to Midtown. Meth labs are toxic time bombs—they reek of poisonous chemicals that endanger children and the environment and rack up health care costs. In New York City, the potential for damage is enormous—drug criminals are playing with fire in apartment buildings that thousands of innocent people call home."

As reported, one of the men arrested was Michael Knibb, a vice president of information technology for Citibank. His meth lab was in his penthouse living at 330 East 39th Street, shocking his neighbors who called him "a real gentleman." Knibb made his own meth because he lost a reliable crystal meth source when he moved here from Seattle a year and a half ago.

The other notable arrest was Mehmetcan Dosemeci, a Fulbright scholar and Columbia graduate student in history. The DEA said that Dosemeci made meth to stay awake while writing his dissertation. Dosemeci, who was out on $150,000 bail and had the chemicals to make meth shipped directly to his home, told the Post, "It's just not as it seems at the moment. It's a big misunderstanding."

The other meth labs were in auto repair shops and even in the back of a pickup truck. Best quote is from a resident in Knibb's building to WABC 7: "Nobody told anybody ... that's insane, they could have blown the whole building up!" Ha - can you imagine a note slipped under your door from Knibb saying, "Hey, FYI, there may be an explosion as I have a secret meth lab in my living room."

Photographs of Knibb's penthouse meth lab from the DEA

He said the discovery of the labs -- which operated everywhere from a swank Manhattan penthouse to the back of a pickup truck on Long Island -- means the drug is creeping toward the East Coast from out West, where it has long been popular.

"Methamphetamine labs are new in New York City," Gilbride said. "But they're not new to the DEA."

Suffolk County Police Department Deputy Insp. Robert Oswald said police there are more accustomed to dealing with cocaine and heroin cases than meth.

"It's not something we see with any type of frequency whatsoever," he said.

Authorities discovered the labs, which they say are not connected, because their owners all ordered the necessary iodine and red phosphorus from the same foreign-based Web site.

Eight of the men -- Michael Knibb, 36, of Manhattan; Nicholaos Georgopoulos, 29, of Astoria; Allen Jasovsky, 56, of Englishtown, N.J.; Mehmetcan Dosemeci, 28, of Manhattan; Christopher Bigoness, 48, of Ridge; Arkady Koroshikh, 20, of Bay Ridge; Christopher Beltzer, 24, of Queens; and Wright -- face a maximum of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. The other two men -- Patchogue residents Steven Satornino, 32, and Adam Mills, 41 -- face 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

The announcement was made on the day President George W. Bush declared as National Methamphetamine Awareness Day, a nationwide educational effort about the dangers of the drug.

-----------------

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--met...

Penthouse lab busted in methamphetamine crackdown
By PAT MILTON
Associated Press Writer
November 30, 2006, 5:20 PM EST

NEW YORK -- A Manhattan corporate executive accused of cooking up methamphetamine in his penthouse apartment was one of 10 people busted in a crackdown on clandestine drug labs in the city and Long Island, Drug Enforcement Administration officials announced Thursday.

The six-month investigation, dubbed "Operation Red Fusion," targeted suspects who allegedly imported chemicals used to make the drug from the same Web site, said John Gilbride, special agent in charge of the DEA's New York office. The suspects were making the drug for individual use and not for sale, said Gilbride.

Michael Knibb, 36, a Citicorp executive, was cooking the drug up in the living room of his East Side penthouse overlooking the United Nations, Gilbride said. Another suspect was arrested for running a lab in the back of his pickup truck, while a third was using a garage bay at a Manhattan car dealership. Knibb's attorney, Heidi Cesare, did not immediately return a phone call for comment.

Nine of the defendants, including Knibb, were arraigned in U.S. District Court in Brooklyn following their arrests, while the tenth remained a fugitive. According to Gilbride, three of the labs were in Manhattan, two in Long Island, two in Queens, and one apiece in Brooklyn and the Bronx.

The arrests mark yet another eastward advance for a drug that has been slowly growing in popularity in urban areas, after gaining a foothold years ago in small towns across the Midwest and Appalachia.

"From the cornfields of the Midwest to the penthouses of New York City, this drug is a poisonous danger that affects not only the user but the entire community," Gilbride said.

Officials said that one in six clandestine labs result in an explosion creating devastating consequences for the individual and neighbors, particularly in densely populated areas such as New York City and its suburbs.

Suspicious tell-tale signs that could indicate the existence of a meth lab include an air conditioner unit running during winter months, a tube dangling outside a window being used as a vent, and the presence of caustic fumes or odors, said John Fassanello, a DEA chemist.

Methamphetine, also known as meth, crank and crystal, can be made from household ingredients, including over-the-counter cold medications. It can be snorted, injected, inhaled or smoked.

Agents uncovered two personal meth labs on Long Island. One was in Ridge, where the individual was producing meth from the back of a pick-up truck, said Richard Dormer, Suffolk County police commissioner.

The investigation received its nickname because red phosphorous and other chemicals such as iodine are used to manufacture the drug. Gilbride declined to identify the Internet company that sold the chemicals, but did say it was outside the U.S.

The defendants pleaded not guilty to the charges and all but one was released on bail. If convicted, they face up to 20 years in prison.

------------------

//www.dea.gov/pubs/states/newsrel/nyc113006.html

Meth In The City
9 Meth Labs Found, 10 Charged In New York City And Long Island
Supplies for Clan Lab found on 39th Street, Manhattan
Supplies for Clan Lab found on 39th Street, Manhattan.

NOV 30 -- (New York, NY) - The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) announced today that ten defendants have been charged with federal felony offenses associated with the illegal operation of meth labs throughout New York City and Long Island. The joint investigation leading to the charges was conducted under the auspices of the United States Department of Justice Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force, with assistance from the Suffolk County Police Department. Seven of the defendants were arrested yesterday and appeared before Judge Roanne L. Mann, at the U.S. Courthouse in Brooklyn.

Joining DEA representatives in making the announcement on National Methamphetamine Awareness Day were: Roslynn R. Mauskopf, United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, Ron Walker, Inspector-in-Charge, U.S. Postal Inspection Service, New York Division, and Richard Dormer, Commissioner, Suffolk County Police Department.

“The danger of meth labs has spread from Mid-America to Midtown,” said Drug Enforcement Administration Administrator Karen P. Tandy. “Meth labs are toxic time bombs—they reek of poisonous chemicals that endanger children and the environment and rack up health care costs. In New York City, the potential for damage is enormous—drug criminals are playing with fire in apartment buildings that thousands of innocent people call home. With today’s arrests, we’re extinguishing those fires before they become explosions and ensuring that those who put New York’s citizens at risk pay the price."

Operation Red Fusion targeted individuals in New York City and Long Island who imported red-phosphorus and other restricted chemicals, such as iodine, which are known to be used to manufacture methamphetamine in illegal laboratories. Methamphetamine is an addictive stimulant drug that strongly activates certain systems in the brain. It is chemically related to amphetamine, but the central nervous system effects of methamphetamine are greater, resulting in a high potential for abuse and addiction.

“The chemicals used to make methamphetamine in a clandestine lab are very hazardous. It doesn’t matter if a lab is active or inactive -- what matters is that the lab is dismantled and the threat of an explosion or chemical spill removed. The defendants’ need for methamphetamine led them to learn how to ‘cook’ meth themselves, and placed innocent bystanders, neighbors, coworkers, and the community in harm’s way. DEA and our law enforcement partners are committed to keeping our communities safe from the perils of clandestine labs and the threat of methamphetamine abuse," said DEA Special Agent-in-Charge John Gilbride.

Agents discovered nine operational methamphetamine laboratories and equipment used in growing psilocybin mushrooms and marijuana, as well as the seizure of quantities of manufactured methamphetamine and hundreds of grams of restricted chemicals, including red phosphorus and iodine. The locations of the drug laboratories included a penthouse apartment overlooking the United Nations, a garage bay at a Manhattan automobile dealership, a pickup truck, and a single family residence and apartments located on Long Island.

The defendants are not members of a single organization, but rather acted independently, producing personal use quantities of methamphetamine. They include a corporate executive, an automobile mechanic, and a university teaching assistant.

The drug and chemical seizures, and the dismantling and cleanup of the secret laboratories, were supervised by agents assigned to DEA’s Clandestine Laboratory Team, part of Group D-22 of the DEA’s New York Field Division, who have received special training due to the volatile nature of the labs, the highly toxic waste they produce as a byproduct, and the significant threat the labs pose to the public’s safety.

“The deleterious effects of methamphetamine on those who use it can only be matched by the potentially destructive force of the laboratories that make it,” added United States Attorney Mauskopf. “Methamphetamine poses a double threat because it places not only the drug abuser at risk, but the public at large each time the drug is produced, especially in a densely-populated area such as New York City and its suburbs. The charges announced today should serve as a ‘wake-up call’ that the scourge of methamphetamine is not a distant problem but is present right here in our communities.”

U.S. Postal Inspector-in-Charge Walker stated, “The mission of the US Postal Inspection Service, in part, is to protect the nation’s mail system from criminal misuse. That includes preventing the mailing of illicit drugs and components used to manufacture them. The mission of this taskforce was to help keep these drugs off our streets and these dangerous labs out of our neighborhoods. Both missions have been accomplished thanks to the teamwork and dedication of the postal inspectors, DEA agents and detectives of the Suffolk County Police Department who took part in this investigation.”

Suffolk County Police Commissioner Dormer observed, “Methamphetamine is the ‘crack’ of the 21st century. It can have lethal effects at any time from production to ingestion. Toxic waste is created producing it and ruined lives are the result of abusing it. We in local law enforcement are committed to work with our federal counterparts pooling resources to insure that those who would produce or use methamphetamine are detected, arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

If convicted, the defendants Michael Knibb, Eric Wright, Christopher Beltzer, Nicholaos Georgopoulos, Allen Jasovsky, Christopher Bigoness, Arkady Koroshikh, and Mehmetcan Dosemeci face a maximum sentence of 20 years’ imprisonment and a $250,000 fine, and the defendants Steven Satornino and Adam Mills face a maximum of 10 years of imprisonment and a $250,000 fine.

The cases are being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Steven L. D’Alessandro.

The Defendants:

Name: Michael Knibb
DOB: 03-19-70

Name: Eric Wright (fugitive)
DOB: 10-13-70

Name: Christopher Beltzer
DOB: 02-21-82

Name: Nicholaos Georgopoulos
DOB: 03-05-77

Name: Allen Jasovsky
DOB: 03-28-50

Name: Christopher Bigoness
DOB: 12-15-57

Name: Steven Satornino
DOB: 01-05-74

Name: Adam Mills
DOB: 07-09-65

Name: Arkady Koroshikh
DOB: 05-23-86

Name: Mehmetcan Dosemeci
DOB: 03-09-78

The Nine Laboratories’ Locations:

32-82 33rd Street, Astoria, NY
706 11th Avenue, Manhattan, NY
330 E. 39th Street, Manhattan, NY
2280 Olinville Avenue, The Bronx, NY
181 Bay 28th Street, Brooklyn, NY
124 Maple Avenue, Patchogue, NY
164-18 43rd Street, Queens, NY
15 Tarkill Trail, Ridge, NY
386 Manhattan Avenue, Manhattan, NY

Audio is available by dialing 1-888-557-6494. Dial mailbox number #701 to hear the message from Special Agent in Charge John P. Gilbride.

---------------------

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/476275p-400534c.html

Meth lab in 'high' rise

Feds say it was 1 of 9 drug setups

BY KERRY BURKE and JOHN MARZULLI
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Luxury high rise on 39th St. towers above East Side - and is where federal officials say one tenant set up a crystal meth lab in his penthouse apartment. It was one of nine sites in metro area where feds say drug was being made.
A Citigroup executive turned his fancy 38th-floor penthouse apartment overlooking the United Nations into a crystal meth lab, one of nine secret dope factories shut down by drug agents, federal officials said yesterday.

He and nine other New Yorkers, including a Fulbright scholar at Columbia who wanted to stay awake to write his dissertation, were charged with setting up the toxic do-it-yourself labs across the metro area.

"A new animal has been unleashed in New York City," said John Gilbride, special agent in charge of the DEA's New York office.

For six months, agents tracked the purchase of red phosphorous and other chemicals from an Internet-based foreign company.

The most prominent alleged mad meth scientist was Michael Knibb, a vice president for information technology for Citigroup. He was tracked ordering 100 grams of meth's component chemical, court papers allege.

When the feds checked his penthouse on E. 39th St., they discovered beakers, solvents and heating elements in his living room and bedroom.

Knibb admitted he lost his crystal meth source when he moved here from Seattle 18 months ago, "so he decided to manufacture it himself," DEA agent David Campbell stated in an affidavit.

"He's a real gentleman," said a shocked employee in the luxury building. "He rides a motorcycle and has a high-paying job."

Mehmetcan Dosemeci, 28, a doctoral student in history at Columbia University who teaches political science and was a Fulbright scholar, was tripped up by a shipment of iodine crystals sent to his Manhattan Ave. flat.

"While writing his dissertation, he wanted to take methamphetamine to keep awake. . . . He researched how to manufacture it on the Internet," Campbell said.

A U.S. magistrate in Brooklyn released Knibb and Dosemeci on $150,000 bonds Wednesday.

Drug labs were also set up by two mechanics in the garage bay of Potamkin Mitsubishi in Manhattan, in another suspect's pickup truck, and in several residences on Long Island. All the labs produced drugs for the suspects' personal use, authorities said.

The eight others charged are: Nicholaos Georgopoulos, 29, of Astoria, Queens; Allen Jasovsky, 56, of Englishtown, N.J.; Christopher Bigoness, 48, of Ridge, L.I.; Arkady Koroshikh, 20, of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn; Christopher Beltzer, 24, of Queens; Eric Wright, 36, of the Bronx, and Steven Satornino, 32, and Adam Mills, 41, both of Patchogue, L.I. All but Wright, who remains a fugitive, have been arraigned and released.

"From the cornfields of the Midwest to the penthouses of New York City, this drug is a poisonous danger that affects not only the user but the entire community," Gilbride said.

Because flammable chemicals are used in the making of the highly addictive meth, one home lab in six triggers potentially dangerous explosions, he said.

Originally published on December 1, 2006

-----------------

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12012006/news/regionalnews/cryst...

EXEC TURNS HIS PENTHOUSE INTO A METH LAB: FEDS
By TODD VENEZIA, ERIKA MARTINEZ and STEFANIE COHEN
Slideshow image
'HIGH' LIFE: Citigroup exec Michael Knibb is led in cuffs from his East Side building, where he had allegedly set up this "sophisticated" meth lab in his penthouse apartment (above).

December 1, 2006 -- The trailer-park drug known as "hillbilly crack" has been putting on the Ritz lately - as federal drug agents uncovered a crystal-meth lab inside the $6,000-a-month Manhattan penthouse of a bank executive, authorities said yesterday.

Michael Knibb, an information-technology vice president at Citigroup, ran the sophisticated drug operation from the living room of his luxury apartment overlooking the United Nations, said Drug Enforcement Administration officials.

The 37-year-old Knibb - who makes an estimated $250,000 a year - allegedly told authorities that he had decided to make his own methamphetamines because he could not find a reliable drug dealer after moving to New York from Seattle two years ago.

Knibb was one of 10 alleged do-it-yourself drug makers busted this week as part of a federal anti-meth sweep dubbed Operation Red Fusion.

Yesterday was National Methamphetamine Awareness Day.

The arrests were made after each of the suspects allegedly bought meth-making chemicals from the same Internet sites.

None of the suspects were major dealers, and most just made enough for their own use, according to the DEA.

Knibb wasn't the only suspect whose profile didn't fit the image of the typical meth producer.

Another suspect is Mehmetcan Dosemeci, a Columbia University doctoral student, who told cops he mixed and used the stimulant to boost his studying, officials said.

Dosemeci, a native of Turkey, is a Fulbright scholar and a graduate instructor at the school.

He was busted after he allegedly made the boneheaded mistake of going online to get one of the prime meth ingredients, iodine crystals, and having it sent to his Manhattan Avenue apartment.

DEA agents raided his home in October. The history student might have also gone far in chemistry, since DEA officials said the 1.3 grams of meth they found had a purity of 98 percent.

"It's just not as it seems at the moment. It's a big misunderstanding," Dosemeci said at his apartment yesterday.

He and Knibb were free on $150,000 bail.
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-12-2006 at 18:18

Most of these guys could afford a lawyer.. I'm sure that meth was in fact present.

Joe
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 17-12-2006 at 14:12

So thats what happened to Exchem....
http://www.rc mp-grc.gc.ca/ottawa/release060927_e.htm
(remove space)

:o

MORONS....How can they call sodium nitrate an explosive, yet not mention the 47KILOS of pentaerythritol.:o

Waffles
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-12-2006 at 21:09

Quote:
Originally posted by S.C. Wack
As reported, one of the men arrested was Michael Knibb, a vice president of information technology for Citibank. His meth lab was in his penthouse living at 330 East 39th Street, shocking his neighbors who called him "a real gentleman."

He's got a pretty sweet lab setup- all the heating mantles and such sitting on a varnished hardwood surface :D

\"…\'tis man\'s perdition to be safe, when for the truth he ought to die.\"
boness
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-1-2007 at 04:23

Kerry-Ann Shanks arrested today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/6316...
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 3-2-2007 at 22:36

Prices are inconsistent; hexamine 9 pounds, DMSO 29 pounds ... (?)

Lots of relatively innocuous stuff... NaCO3 ... Alumina .. charcoal... some pyrotechnic stuff, sulfur, powdered zinc, NH4NO3 .. similar to KNO3.com
Unch
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2007 at 08:39

Mehmetcan
Is that a common name?
It sound like a joke to me
subversiveautistic
Harmless

Mood: Euthymic

[*] posted on 22-3-2007 at 07:31

Greetings guys, this is my first post here, but I'm glad I found the site, I ordered a few bits and pieces, over a fair period of time from this site, Mg turnings, Al powder, red P, I2, and I got most of my large quantities of solvents from KNO3, they always shipped promptly, BUT, and this is a big but, about 9 months ago, some so-called "chemical liason officer", who seemingly, was just your regular joe-blow copper (I am located in the UK by the way).

Later, I did time in Forrest Bank, and Strangeways on remand, just because I had an old, decrepit firework, taped together to stop it falling to pieces, lying in the bottom of a drawer, because the filth spotted my chemicals, and glassware, they crapped bricks, and I now find myself charged with possession of a modified explosive device, after my family having been lied to, and kicked out of the house at an unsociable hour in the morning.

And seemingly, the mere possession of 2 50ml bottles of acetone, one of which unopened, and alongside a large selection of organic chemicals, Pt catalysts, etc. that have no conceivable use in explosive manufacture, at least, nothing commonplace I can think of off the top of my head, I also had the grave misfortune, to have around half a bottle of 9% household H2O2 solution, plus a small quantity of 3% soln.

The result? my being accused of synthing TATP:o
TATP? with 3/9% aq. peroxide, I pointed out, they must be having a laugh, albeit one at my expense:mad:

This, has some relevance, to the "liason officer", although there are a few other circumstances, but this just goes to show, the sort of chemophobia, and hysteria infecting the general populace in the UK at the moment.
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-3-2007 at 18:32

Quote:
Originally posted by subversiveautistic
Greetings guys, this is my first post here, but I'm glad I found the site, I ordered a few bits and pieces, over a fair period of time from this site, Mg turnings, Al powder, red P, I2, and I got most of my large quantities of solvents from KNO3, they always shipped promptly, BUT, and this is a big but, about 9 months ago, some so-called "chemical liason officer", who seemingly, was just your regular joe-blow copper (I am located in the UK by the way).

Later, I did time in Forrest Bank, and Strangeways on remand, just because I had an old, decrepit firework, taped together to stop it falling to pieces, lying in the bottom of a drawer, because the filth spotted my chemicals, and glassware, they crapped bricks, and I now find myself charged with possession of a modified explosive device, after my family having been lied to, and kicked out of the house at an unsociable hour in the morning.

And seemingly, the mere possession of 2 50ml bottles of acetone, one of which unopened, and alongside a large selection of organic chemicals, Pt catalysts, etc. that have no conceivable use in explosive manufacture, at least, nothing commonplace I can think of off the top of my head, I also had the grave misfortune, to have around half a bottle of 9% household H2O2 solution, plus a small quantity of 3% soln.

The result? my being accused of synthing TATP:o
TATP? with 3/9% aq. peroxide, I pointed out, they must be having a laugh, albeit one at my expense:mad:

This, has some relevance, to the "liason officer", although there are a few other circumstances, but this just goes to show, the sort of chemophobia, and hysteria infecting the general populace in the UK at the moment.

Just because of a firework......

Joe
tupence_hapeny
Hazard to Others

Mood: continuing respiration (touch wood)

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 06:55

[Quote] "From the cornfields of the Midwest to the penthouses of New York City, this drug is a poisonous danger that affects not only the user but the entire community," Gilbride said.

Because flammable chemicals are used in the making of the highly addictive meth, one home lab in six triggers potentially dangerous explosions, he said.

Originally published on December 1, 2006 [/Quote]

So, one in six meth labs explode.... That is the statistic we are being asked to believe, is it not?

And we are also told that 10 labs were busted... Yet there is no suggestion that any of those ten were busted because of potentially hazardous explosions, is there?

So, none in ten blew up, yet one in six does?

The gullibility of investigative journalists, particularly given soundbites of misleading quasi-statistical crap is astounding. They happily accept a 17% catastrophic failure rate - while reporting a 0% failure rate - FUCK

We are all the sum of our experiences, and our reactions to the same
dedalus
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-4-2007 at 13:06

What a bunch of jerks.

Both the DEA, and the cooks, I mean. If they're looking to stop meth, the same resources invested in border interdiction would have yielded much greater rewards. And, the cooks could have gotten the RP to brew their geezola off of match strikers.

Dumb, and dumber.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 20-9-2009 at 16:49

Quote: Originally posted by utogga  

What is this true? How come buying RP is illegal?

It's a List 1 chemical. See http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/cfr/1310/1310_02.htm...
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-9-2009 at 20:30

Quote: Originally posted by utogga  
How come buying RP is illegal?
It's not the buying that's illegal, it's the importation without proper registration. But the reason that people import is to avoid the reporting that the seller must make.
pip
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2009 at 14:38

Someone could make a fortune off of violet P but only if thier smart enough to do phone only orders and base sales off of weither the buyer can answer very hard chemistry questions. Non illegal substance and strict selling practices should keep the DEA away or at least give you a good defence.

I've wanted to do it for personal amounts of P to make elemental samples for collections from leftover P from my phosphorus pentasulfide plans but I'm still waiting for spare money for my clay I've got the kiln and lead already.
agorot
Hazard to Self

Mood: like an activated complex

[*] posted on 28-1-2010 at 17:16
the states

I live in America, and I have to say that I'm a little scared right now to practice chemistry. I really tend to stick with relatively simple expiriments and I never do anything with explosives, flammables, and pyrotechnichs. I collect elements and samples and things like that and do very simple cool reactions that are visually interesting (again, excluding fire).

Is there anyone else out there that does this too in the states and is feeling particularly weary right now? We had an attempted terrorist attack over christmas. I HATE TERRORISTS! Seriously, they're ruining this for everyone.

For those in the UK, I heard that your terror threat level was just raised to the second highest level. Have you been particularly weary lately?

Just tonight I bought some H2SO4 from walmart in the form of drain opener. Its 40% conc. as the msds says, but I'm really regretting now that I bought it because I think I saw the cashier writing something down when I left. And I was stupid enough to use my credit card. I should have used cash.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top