Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium Bisulfate adduct of Benzaldehyde QUESTION
cal
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-9-2012 at 06:13
Sodium Bisulfate adduct of Benzaldehyde QUESTION

I made this compound and was wondering if anyone here has a MSDS for this and possibly some photos of the crystals to compare to my results.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
23-9-2012 at 09:17
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 23-9-2012 at 09:54

Just how are photos supposed to help you in any way? A white crystalline powder looks just like any white crystalline powder.

You can characterize it by derivatization. For example, you can decompose it to benzaldehyde and identify this by one of the classical methods, bp measurment being the easiest. Alternatively, you can derivatize it to its 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazone or semicarbazone and measure their mp.

Why do you need its MSDS? It is not particularly toxic and can be handled without worries. Just make sure you don't ingest any.

PS: Please open threads without references only in the Beginnings section.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-9-2012 at 12:45
PHOTOS

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
Just how are photos supposed to help you in any way? A white crystalline powder looks just like any white crystalline powder.

You can characterize it by derivatization. For example, you can decompose it to benzaldehyde and identify this by one of the classical methods, bp measurment being the easiest. Alternatively, you can derivatize it to its 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazone or semicarbazone and measure their mp.

Why do you need its MSDS? It is not particularly toxic and can be handled without worries. Just make sure you don't ingest any.

PS: Please open threads without references only in the Beginnings section.

I do not have a melting point apparatus at this time my old one burn out. I was asking for some photos to compare the shape and color of the crystals, as this is the first time I have made this from the bitter oil of almond extract. I will convert it back to benzaldehyde as you say. Thanks for the input. :D

Go To Top