Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to obtain dermatogens?
Crowbar
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 10:42
How to obtain dermatogens?

I have three plantar warts (on the sole of my foot) which have been there for close to two years. Liquid nitrogen cryotherapy (by my doctor) failed after multiple treatment attempts, as did do-it-yourself electrocautery.

I see wart/mole treatments online based on plant-sourced dermatogens, but I don't want to pay $60-$80 for a fraction of a milliliter!
Most of those have cashew nutshell oil/liquid as the primary ingredient, which causes a severe allergic reaction in the skin--basically this is a topical immunomoulatory treatment. They also put in some proteolytics inlcuding fig sap and celandine that may also act as allergens.

I can't find any of those substances OTC in my parts (Canadian West coast). I can't even find poison ivy around here. Any alternatives, or something I can synthesize or extract myself starting with OTC materials? I have sufficient glassware to do vacuum distillations and liquid-liquid or liquid-solid extractions.

I've also read that dinitrochlorobenzene can be used, but again, I have no source...

Thanks for any help!

PS: who runs the forum? I need to contact them regarding some account issues.

[Edited on 9-10-2012 by Crowbar]
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 14:58

Silver nitrate is used to treat warts

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Ephesian
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 15:53

Quote:

Liquid nitrogen cryotherapy (by my doctor) failed after multiple treatment attempts, as did do-it-yourself electrocautery

ask your physician about SQUARIC ACID, or go to your local computer store and buy an aresol can used to spray dust off your keyboard and electronics, turn the can upside down and freeze them off (cold liquid oxygen or nitrogen will spray out). Do this every day for a week or two, they will come off, I promise you. Just man up it hurts, ALOT

3,4-Dihydroxy-3-cyclobutene-1,2-dione is squaric acid

[Edited on 10-10-2012 by Ephesian]
Crowbar
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-10-2012 at 00:40

He doesn't have access. The specific compound used for topical immunotherapy is actually squaric acid dibutyl ester.
I don't know how to synthesize it, so I'm looking for alternatives.

BTW also tried soldering iron... became too painful when I reached the root where some blood vessels are visible.
pedrovecchio
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-10-2012 at 01:44

Look here, where it is claimed that mashed garlic under a band-aid is effective:

http://www.healingwiseforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=272...
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 13-10-2012 at 20:23

Polverone is the person to contact for account issues.

I read that Wigandia caracasana secretes a one-of-a-kind allergen. I'm afraid it's also confined to hardiness zones 10 and 11, so you are not likely to find it anywhere along the NW coast. If you're dedicated enough, you could grow it indoors and extract the sensitiser from the leaves via a solvent extraction.

I had a pretty severe case of warts once. I'd pick them apart with tweezers as they came but, a new one would appear every day; this went on for a month and a half. I tried everything, cryotherapy didn't work, neither did any of the pomades. I took preventive action by getting more sleep and getting my mind off of the myriad of troubles I had at the time. My situation stabilised in that no new warts appeared. But the ones that were left didn't go away either. What really did the trick was a 50:50 mix (by weight) of salicylic acid and lactic acid. These acids are relatively easy to obtain, this may be your best option.

Remember that this is a problem that must be dealt with internally as well as externally. Getting more sleep and easing stress can really help.

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi

Go To Top