Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Survivalist's Chemistry
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 27-7-2015 at 15:47

Water purification can be easily accomplished. Just fill yer empty diet Pepsi bottles with water, and leave 'em sitting in the sun fer a day or two.

UV passes right through the plastic, and kills the germs.

What? You don't have any empties on hand?

Sigh. OK, I'll trade you a couple fer an ounce of Gold.

And, no funny stuff! My 7 year old nephew, will be sitting up in the rocks, with a .170 rifle aimed at you. He's a good boy, but he got a itchy trigger finger, and he ain't had any fresh meat in a while. Don't tempt him.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-7-2015 at 11:06

Actual, I just recall reading that drinking water from plastic bottles left in a hot car and in the sun is a bad idea (cancer causing agents generated from the breakdown of the plastic giving a distinct taste to the water).

My guess is the uv rays introduce hydroxyl radicals which proceed to breakdown the plastic (such products are mostly cancerous or worst).

Boiling the best followed by perhaps aeration of rain water (see https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&... ).

Of course one does not have to worry about cancer and such if the absence of water causes death in the very near term.
Upsilon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 20:00

For bleach, NaCl electrolysis could be a plausible idea. With a little electronics knowledge a generator is very easy to make, whether it be a steam engine or just by good old elbow grease. After some time you'll essentially have a commercial bleach solution.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top