Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Drying Glycerol
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 2-2-2016 at 08:40

Quote: Originally posted by bluamine  
Can we use any drying agents to do so? (Like calcium oxide)

Any compound used to dry the glycerol would likely become suspended in the mixture and would be difficult to separate, even with a vacuum filter. I have nothing but excellent results drying glycerol in a home oven at 350˚F. You can do the same on a hotplate. If it begins to fume or smoke, it's too hot.

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
Mabus
Wiki Master

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 2-2-2016 at 11:55

Quote: Originally posted by Detonationology  
Quote: Originally posted by bluamine  
Can we use any drying agents to do so? (Like calcium oxide)

Any compound used to dry the glycerol would likely become suspended in the mixture and would be difficult to separate, even with a vacuum filter. I have nothing but excellent results drying glycerol in a home oven at 350˚F. You can do the same on a hotplate. If it begins to fume or smoke, it's too hot.

What about centrifugation? I don't think calcium hydroxide is very soluble in glycerol.

Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 2-2-2016 at 13:07

I don't have much practical experience using a centrifuge, but seems like a waste of chemicals and time. As I said, I have dried glycerol from my local pharmacy in an oven for a reaction with oxalic acid to make very dry formic acid. As long as the glycerol is baked thoroughly at a high temp for a long duration, and the oxalic acid is reasonably dry, the product is nearly anhydrous.

[Edit] And NEVER bake oxalic acid, benzoic acid, salicylic acid, etc. in your oven or you will be hated by your family and yourself.

[Edited on 2-2-2016 by Detonationology]

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top