Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: N,N-dimethylaminoethylchloride (Nitrogen mustard gas !!) Alternatives
Methyl.Magic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-11-2012 at 08:58
N,N-dimethylaminoethylchloride (Nitrogen mustard gas !!) Alternatives

Hi everybody !

I would like to alkylate a methoxylatedimidazole with 2-(N,N-dimethylamino)ethyl chloride HCl but I have several problems.

1 ) This chemical is watched buy the ONU because it belongs to the category of chemical weapons. I didn't have much problem to order chemicals in my country. Some are watched because of drug synthesis. I am not allowed to buy direct precursor without licence like P2P but I've never had problem to buy something like Indole, POCl3 or even GBL. I've just had to sign a sheet to order from sigma-aldrich. But this one should be more difficult to acquire and I don't want to see the ONU knocking at my door, you know...

2) The product is sold as the HCl salt because it's safer to handle but to do the alkylation I need to convert it to the freebase. And there is the problem, because for the isolation I can extract it with ether and dry or distillate it but I don't want to distillate mustard gas ! Way too dangerous dor me ! Another problem for the distillation would be the decomposition of the product to aziridine or tetralakylammonium salt.

To alkylate the imidazole I will prepare the sodium salt in-situ in THF or better dioxane (more polar and higher bp) with the help of NaNH2. I also hive NaH and KH at hands. There is no problem for this step.

I really want to replace the excedingly dangerous tear gas.

I expect to make the tosylate or mesylate of N,N-dimethylaminoethanol because both reagent are dirty cheap.

By the way I have some problems to get the anhydrous tosylate. I can easily form the tosylate but the final product would be the ammonium salt. I can neutralise it with a base in water but after I would have some water inside. Maybe I could extract the freebase with ether and dry it after.

Or I can make the tosylate in an anhydrous solvent by threating the alcoolate with TsCl and separated out the NaCl. But I need a strong base to deprotonate the alcool and I don't want to waste all my NaNH2 and I dont reallly like to work with NaH,KH because of the shitty oil to remove.

Could you please suggest a methode to prepare the tosylate ? What's the stabilty of the compound ? Will it be readily transformed to the aziridine tosylate by intramolecular SN2 ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Note : I have access to plenty of chemicals, sources are not a problem for me.

FSO3Me
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 20-11-2012 at 09:15

if you try to synthesize mustard HD, you'll immediately end up in a military jail. There are many mustards, suitable for cancer treatment (antineo plastic).

The problem is, HD is a war gas (actually looks like glycerine at room temp.), and a weapon of mass destruction. Designated so in a United Nations sanction. So Interpol could legally arrest you where ever you run to, CIA, FBI, and they'd make an example out of you, and label you a terrorist who was caught just in time. It's really not worth it.

Far worse than a gay pedophile with aids, raping 3 year olds up the poop shoot, and ejaculating deadly AIDS spangled sperm into them. Worse than counterfeiting money and passing it in large quantities. Worse than any drug synthesis, (like, if you were caught with a Kilo of carfentanyl).

Skip the mustard, it's a non starter, and there's no such thing as an open mind or fair system when it comes to this. Best you
wash your hands of this, and NEVER EVER even try such a synth.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 20-11-2012 at 16:19

It can't be that terrible. Inhaling, while walking through a cloud of it might be real bad, but my buddies used to work with it without taking any especially stringent precautions.

Dimethylaminoethyl Chloride may be hard to purchase, but it is easy to make.

http://orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=CV4P033...

One of the most straight forward of all DMT preps, utilizes this reagent. Yields aren't great, 25% or so, but.......

[Edited on 21-11-2012 by zed]
Methyl.Magic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-11-2012 at 09:04

Ok thanks for your help !

I don't think its really hard to get the compoud because it's not schedule 1 like mustard gas but scheduled 2 and chemical companies are ok to have it unless sigma aldrich doesn't propose it ...

Anyway I'll go with the tosylate route because it seems much less problematic... What do you think about my method ? Do you have something else to propose ?
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 21-11-2012 at 12:58

In the U.S., even forty years ago, such a purchase might be examined with a suspicious eye. Concern about sales of Dimethylaminoethyl Chloride preceded the current hysteria about Chemical Weapons.

It is useful in the manufacture of synthetic opiates. Thus, at least in my area of the country, purchases could only be made occasionally. Suppliers might sell you a small amount once, and when you tried to re-purchase, they would inform you "Sorry, it is a pain in the ass....obtaining it from the manufacturer".

It wasn't exactly illegal to buy or sell. It was just that State and Federal agencies, were informing manufacturers, that they were concerned.

As for your Tosylate Route; I don't know much about it.

My buddy Dr. Death, may have performed such alkylations, in route to Etonitazine. Pretty strong stuff. Dr. Death survived the habitual use of this material. But, several of his closest friends may not have. This of course, was long ago. In the middle 70s.

For an addict, I suppose it beats moving to Tangiers, but it's a pretty grim type of commitment.

[Edited on 21-11-2012 by zed]

Go To Top