Printable Version  
Author: Subject: friedel-crafts mechanism
thelonious
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 00:01
friedel-crafts mechanism

I have a very noobish question.

http://gyazo.com/c5f3811610aaf65446a902e7576fc082.png?135495...

In the above picture, mechanism 1 is the Friedel-Crafts mechanism as I know it.

Why doesn't mechanism 2 happen? Wouldn't it be more likely that the strongly nucleophilic chlorine on AlCl4- would attack the strongly electrophilic carbocation on the benzene ring, rather than the weakly nucleophilic hydrogen?
I know that the second product lacks the resonance stabilization of the first one, but I even then, it seems to me that at least some of the second product should form.
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 00:50

Well, for one, as pictured, you have gotten rid of the stable conjugated pi system (the benzene ring) which is highly unfavorable. This is the big thing here. Don't wreck your aromatics! It doesn't happen (easily).

Also, chlorine is by far one of the worst electrophiles of all. Just sayin. Better leaving group than anything.

Hope that helped!

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm
thelonious
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 09:16

Quote: Originally posted by sargent1015  
Well, for one, as pictured, you have gotten rid of the stable conjugated pi system (the benzene ring) which is highly unfavorable. This is the big thing here. Don't wreck your aromatics! It doesn't happen (easily).

Ok, due to the stability of the pi-conjugated system, the first product is favoured, that makes sense. Thank you!

Quote: Originally posted by sargent1015  

Also, chlorine is by far one of the worst electrophiles of all. Just sayin. Better leaving group than anything.

I don't think I understand what you mean, isn't chlorine acting as a nucleophile here, not an electrophile?
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 11:02

Quote: Originally posted by thelonious  

I don't think I understand what you mean, isn't chlorine acting as a nucleophile here, not an electrophile?

I think I said that wrong, can anyone correct me on that nomenclature? Either way, chlorine does not to a good job binding to compounds of this sort and is a much better leaving group than anything else. There are exceptions of course, but in general, chlorine does not readily react in this fashion.

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm

Go To Top