Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemistry Generalized
andre178
Hazard to Self

Mood: pacified

[*] posted on 28-12-2012 at 12:14
Chemistry Generalized

Hi, I've been a beginner and probably always will be, over the years I've done a few syntheses that went rather well (beginners luck).

I was wondering if you guys came across any books that bring the laws of chemistry, esp inorganic, into a 'generalized' form.

For example, explaining in more logistical terms why dissociation and element recombination happens to some elements but not to others.

I still don't feel like I have an intuitive feel for the elements, no matter how many basic reactions I've done.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 28-12-2012 at 13:22

A good book for beginners is Robert Bruce Thompson's "Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments". As well as providing detailed instructions for numerous experiments in several fields of chemistry, I find that it also explains all the concepts very well and clearly.

Slightly more advanced is 'The Periodic Table at a Glance' by Beckett (head of chem at my local uni!) & Platt. It's slightly more advanced, perhaps A-level or undergraduate, but is a very good book nonetheless.

Finally, one last resource which I often recommend to beginners are revision guides for GCSE/lower chemistry levels. If you don't remember everything from when you did your exams, they serve to re-cap, or, if you didn't complete them in chemistry, they present key concepts in easily-understood, often humorous, manners.

[Edited on 28-12-2012 by Hexavalent]

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
andre178
Hazard to Self

Mood: pacified

[*] posted on 28-12-2012 at 13:26

brilliant! just the stuff needed!
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 28-12-2012 at 13:29

You could take a look at the texts in the site library while you're at it . . .
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-12-2012 at 14:07

Personally I like "Chemistry: The Central Science". It's the textbook I used for AP Chem, and it does a good job at going through inorganic, organic, and coordination chemistry, and does a good job of presenting the mathematics behind it. It even does well at explaining the introductory things too, and comes with lovely pictures and inserts. You can probably get a used copy for $20, shipping included.

Go To Top