Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: D2O enrichment
APO
National Hazard

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 29-12-2012 at 13:49
D2O enrichment

I only have 20g of D2O and I would like more, but it is extremely expensive, so I want to make my own. The method I am interested in is electrolysis, H2O splits at 1.48v and D2O splits slightly higher, if I use exactly 1.48v the H2O will hopefully split leaving the D2O in soulution,then I would add more water to the slightly enriched soulution, and repeat the process. Any more ideas?
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2012 at 16:11

are you trying to get the deuterium out of the heavy water? because unless you have another source of deuterium you cannot make D2O!
enriching heavy water from water (which always contain some ) with this process would take years or an industrial size set up!
its expensive for a reason..is that what you are trying to do?

on second consideration , you might be able to get a little bit by the electrolysis process...its worth trying!

[Edited on 30-12-2012 by neptunium]

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 29-12-2012 at 16:23

I don't know where you got it from, but as chemicals go it is really not particularly expensive. Typical price is between 0.6 to 2 US dollar per ml, depending on the quantity you order and special requirements (sterility, impurity testing etc).

It would be awesome if you could enrich some D2O yourself and it would earn you some mad scientists respect but it will never be cost effective. Besides the sheer number of electrolysis (or distillation) steps you need to perform to reach a respectable level of enrichment, I think the first not so trivial problem you need to tackle is how to actually measure the level of enrichment in an home lab.

There have previously been threads on this. Use search.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2012 at 16:36

I would LOVE to own a mass spectrometer....wouldnt you?

APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2012 at 17:21

I can determine the enrichment by by the increase of density, so I think i'll try the electrolysis process.
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2012 at 17:25

more power to you! what do have to lose? if anything you'll gain a new experience in physics and chemistry!
looks like a win win to me!
keep us posted !

99chemicals
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-12-2012 at 17:26

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&am...

1$ per ml + shipping.

[Edited on 12-30-2012 by 99chemicals]

Do you have mole problems? If so, call Avogadro at 602-1023

My Youtube Channel
APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2012 at 17:37

I want to make my own because 1$ a gram is kinda expensive compared to most of my stuff, and yes I got the D2O off of united nuclear.
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2012 at 17:51

i agree ...i'd like a liter or 500ml of it but 500 bucks or even 675! is way out of my reach!
but what do you want to do with it? i mean there is not many interesting experiments to do with heavy water...and how much do you need?

APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2012 at 19:22

Are you kidding? There are plenty of experiments, like fusion studies, examining DDO vs HHO burn tempature, deuterating hydrocarbons, study of higher energy hydrogen, liquid deuterium rocket fuel, and way more!

For many experiments you need compounds with specific isotopes, especially for nuclear reactions, like bubble fusion, and the fleishman and ponds experiment.

Also I just remebered that under high energy conditions with a mix of water and lithium hydroxide that it will evolve helium and deuterium oxide.

2(H2O,LiOH) x 11(He),9(D2O)

I won't give so many details, because I heard some people on the form haven't been using proper safety precautions.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 29-12-2012 at 19:31

"High energy conditions"
As in, gas phase for both compounds, an insanely high temp, .... that's the only way I could even think of lithium hydroxide and water reacting together and *not* making a solution of lithium hydroxide.
"I won't give so many details, because I heard some people on the forum haven't been using proper safety precautions."
We give them advice on how to make such things as white phosphorus, elemental potassium, cyanide, and so much more. There's an entire subforum dedicated to the manufacture of explosives. In short, the danger factor of some k3wl killing him/herself from trying this is about as high as the danger factor for a large amount of the other substances that are popular in the forums right now. Spill ahead on those fusion details!

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2012 at 20:16

Ok, I'll say a little more but I won't explain the apparatus needed because I don't wanna help people hurt them selves. What I meant by high energy conditions, was that this will only work using a super heated plasma compressed by strong magnetic fields, and being excited by a high voltage. The electrodes need to be in a grid inside another gride as the cathode and anode, also the high energy state is started and maintained by a high voltage. The chemical mixture it 2 parts lithium hydroxide monohydrate, and 9 parts water(never use heavy water). If you use heavy water it will not absorb the resulting neutrons, and will instead keep them constant by moderating them, if you did do that you would need radiation protection. This kind of fusion is unique, because if done correctly it poses no threat of a meltdown, or hazerdous by-products. The rest of the details are classified for safety and financial reasons.
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 04:18

Quote: Originally posted by APO  
Also I just remebered that under high energy conditions with a mix of water and lithium hydroxide that it will evolve helium and deuterium oxide.

I won't give so many details, because I heard some people on the form haven't been using proper safety precautions.

At first, nuclear reactions looks easy on paper but if you want to make them then it's a bit problematic.

Second: mixing some LiOH and some water, exposing them to a little energy will result a big nothing, you won't get helium and D2O from those.

Third: lithium is a mixture of Li6 and Li7 what are two completely different thing, let's see just their reaction with a neutron:
Li-6 + n -> T + He-4 +4.78 MeV
Li-7 + n -> T + He-4 + n -2.47 MeV

Fourth: If you do not add D2O to the mixture or something what will give off a neutron at elevated temperature/pressure/ect than what will start the reaction what will turn the LiOH to He and T/D2O? Or how will it work? Get out a particle from here, put it to there?

Fifth: we've got a few kg of LiOH, I would be really thankful if you would describe the method for turning it to D2O, because currently we can't use LiOH to anything useful.

Sixth: back to the original topic, D2O is one of the cheapest deuterated solvents. Unless you got free electricity, there is no chance to make it cheaper.

Seventh:
Quote:
This kind of fusion is unique, because if done correctly it poses no threat of a meltdown, or hazerdous by-products.

Please, tell a few more details, I'm interested in nuclear chemistry.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 04:20

Are you kidding? There are plenty of experiments, like fusion studies, examining DDO vs HHO burn tempature, deuterating hydrocarbons, study of higher energy hydrogen, liquid deuterium rocket fuel, and way more!

For many experiments you need compounds with specific isotopes, especially for nuclear reactions, like bubble fusion, and the fleishman and ponds experiment.

thats exactly what i thought you might say....i just wanted to hear it from you

neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 04:28

Ok, I'll say a little more but I won't explain the apparatus needed because I don't wanna help people hurt them selves. What I meant by high energy conditions, was that this will only work using a super heated plasma compressed by strong magnetic fields, and being excited by a high voltage. The electrodes need to be in a grid inside another gride as the cathode and anode, also the high energy state is started and maintained by a high voltage. The chemical mixture it 2 parts lithium hydroxide monohydrate, and 9 parts water(never use heavy water). If you use heavy water it will not absorb the resulting neutrons, and will instead keep them constant by moderating them, if you did do that you would need radiation protection. This kind of fusion is unique, because if done correctly it poses no threat of a meltdown, or hazerdous by-products. The rest of the details are classified for safety and financial reasons.

i knew where this was going...you are talking about the polywell my friend.

if done correctly ? this is beyond the scope of a home scientist, you WILL get radiations out of your fusor/polywell

dont want to discourage you or anything but good luck!

APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 13:36

I know I haven't said much about the nuclear method, but I will say that it won't work properly inside a farnsworth fusor. Also scince this takes place in water , the neutrons will usually rip into the protium and make deuterium, scince the deuterium oxide doesn't absorb neutrons it just moderates them,then it will make more D2O out of the normal water. The chance of tritated water is very low because of this and it's decay is helium-3. The isotopes used in this method use hydrogen-1 ,lithium-7 and oxygen-16, and because there are 11 water molecules and only two lithium hydroxide molecules only the the atoms of two water molecules are conductive enough to gain enough energy to split and then fuse. When it's taking place, first at 220 volts the conductive water molecules split effectively enough to were there is a brief atomosphere around the electrodes, allowing a spark gap, which ignites the resulting HHO, and then ionizes it, so that will get it up to a pretty high tempature but no fission/fusion. I'm not sure what exact voltage it must get up to for the nuclear reaction to occur, but when it does each lithium hydroxide monohydrate molecule is split into 22 protons, 20 neutrons, and 20 electrons, so it will form 11 helium-3 atoms and 9 deuterium oxide molecules.

Also I accidentally messed up the equation so here is the right one: 1(H2O,LiOH),9(H2O) x E = 11(He),9(D2O)

It makes Helium-3, and Deuterium Oxide, so some pretty useful stuff is obtained. Of course the method is still being refined. Feel free to ask questions, just note that the aparatus to get this to occur is currently classified.
APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 13:49

Also it will not work in a polywell, it needs a very special reactor.
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 14:09

Also I accidentally messed up the equation so here is the right one: 1(H2O,LiOH),9(H2O) x E = 11(He),9(D2O)

We've got some uranyl nitrate... According to this I could make some DIY plutonium-nitrate? AWESOME!

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 14:27

I see no way that this would make a nitrate, also plutonium production would require way too much electricity. You might be able to make plutonium from having a rod of uranium-238 dioxide in D2O with tungsten carbide walls though. Also plutonium is illegal.
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 15:05

So, in summary you've got a prototype of a tabletop fusion device up and running but just need a bit of D2O to fuel it, but that's too expensive.

So, you are clearly about to solve the worlds energy and natural resources crisises. You'll be easily able to afford a few $ worth of heavy water in the near future so why not find an investor, unless you simply enjoy the challenge ofcourse, which I -DO- totally understand.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 15:48

No, I have a reactor that makes D2O for other experiments, but I'm interested in other D2O enrichment processes.
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 16:52

So that hydroxide, would that be Li 6 or 7? I have long dreamed of exceeding the Lawson criterion with water in a liquid state using a tabletop device I built for 50 bucks with materials from Home Depot. I would then tell a public forum how classified it is while I kept bringing it up. From reading many alternative energy sites over time often I read classified as code for "how the hell would I know".

I also wonder how many gallons of water you process per each liter of D2O, or is this yet another fusion device where you are inserting the neutrons into each Hydrogen atom.

[Edited on 12-31-2012 by IrC]

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 18:06

come on guys ! tone the sarcasm down a little ! this is a science forum ! everyone with a made up system and no proof should be able to share its tails!

APO
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 19:48

All you care about is that it can't be partly classified? I don't make the rules but I gotta follow them. I just thought you guys would like to know the reaction, that's all.

[Edited on 31-12-2012 by APO]
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 20:25

Classified means you do not discuss it period. No admitting any existence. You are merely showing the classic symptoms of coming here to blow your own horn with nothing to back it up. Problem is I don't give a damn. I doubt many do. You said it, this is a science forum. Where we DISCUSS science. Not where we claim to know more than God but are not allowed to talk about it. Don Lancaster has many articles on the certain way in general the hocus pocus science crowd behaves and this thread is classic. And irritating.

Took Ford little time to get people driving. Edison little time to light homes. Tesla even less time to light the entire planet. They made something, made no secret maybe someday we will see it claims, got it out there so we can go buy it fast. I have been listening to claims such as yours since the 60's and so far not one of tens of thousands has appeared at Walmart. Or the gas station. I still burn dead dinosaurs to get to Walmart by the way.

You complain to me about being sarcastic yet read my post carefully. I asked two simple questions. You answered neither. Typical. As you said this is a science forum where we discuss things. I recall few saying I have a mysterious black box, believe what I say, but you are not allowed to see the box. This does not constitute a discussion in any way. Accomplishes no discourse among members other that to convey an impression you know things with fantastic claims only you are allowed to know. Where I must ask is the discussion in that? You merely worked there. Did you sign a non disclosure agreement and if so why are you talking about it here in public? No employer would tolerate this. If you did not sign one I can promise all here nothing you are talking about has any super secret repercussions concerning the near future for anyone. I spent many years in billion dollar R&D facilities, I know the drill quite well.

Instead of complaining to or about me answer my two simple questions. Li 6 or 7, how many gallons of water do you waste per liter of D2O? And why is it you only have a few ml when you have access to amazing new ways to create, or concentrate it, whichever. I will not bother to ask how you survive the neutron flux. If there is any merit in your claims then alter the way in which you are conducting this thread in a quasi secretive way. Talk about it don't talk about it. If you do, say something of use which can be openly discussed, the very purpose behind this board.

I should add this: look at the thread beginning.

D2O enrichment:

"I only have 20g of D2O and I would like more, but it is extremely expensive, so I want to make my own. The method I am interested in is electrolysis, H2O splits at 1.48v and D2O splits slightly higher, if I use exactly 1.48v the H2O will hopefully split leaving the D2O in soulution,then I would add more water to the slightly enriched soulution, and repeat the process. Any more ideas?"

OK I'll bite. If in your further posts you try to convince people you worked where this amazing new method has been achieved, then start acting secretive, then why ask "Any more ideas?"

How are we supposed to know your the one who worked there, and are not allowed to tell. This being the case, i.e., you are privy to this new dubious sounding process, why on earth would you need to ask anyone here if they have any ideas?

I am not trying to lay waste to you or your claims, who knows maybe you do have some new thing.

I am merely reacting to the lack of logic being exercised in a most annoying way. Read again your beginning post. You are not creating new D2O. Merely getting the vanishingly small amount already there. This requires the processing of an ocean of water (put right back in the ocean after D2O depletion by the way).

[Edited on 12-31-2012 by IrC]

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top