Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: More fun with thiourea
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 14:03

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I still did not make a web page about this subject, because an important criterion for me to add webpages to my website is that the results should be reproducible by other people, provided they have the chemicals and apparatus used in the experiment. This experiment does not satisfy that criterion. Apparently there is some unspecified good luck for some people, while others do not get the desired results.

I allowed the oil to stand for a few weeks and after that period I had crystals (feather-like), but I find the results of this experiment not convincing at all.

No kidding, thiourea chemistry seems a bit temperamental. After about 20 minutes in the fridge there is some very fine white powder on top of the oil. If this is the target complex I don't know. It certainly doesn't coincide with the description in the article, oh well. Ill let this sit around for a while and see what becomes of it. I also had some difficulties reproducing the synthesis of potassium trichlorocuprate. The instructions were followed exactly as written, however instead of red needle-like crystals, I obtained a white precipitate of a very soluble substance. It was crystalline, I tried to filter and give an ice cold water wash, the whole thing dissolved on the frit. Strange.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top