Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  31
Author: Subject: Preparation of cyanides
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 29-9-2009 at 14:58

Quote: Originally posted by JohnWW  
But the book cannot be downloaded from Google, except for a few snippets!

You're full of it, JohnWW, or maybe they don't let people in New Zealand have access to dangerous things like chemistry books.

When I click that link there's a button to download PDF, and I did that just now.

Off your meds again?
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 29-9-2009 at 15:46

That problem and its solution have been discussed time and time again, even in this thread. Like it needs to crawl across the top of the screen in flashing red or something.

Simple heating of ferrocyanide to just below red heat is wasteful of CN, since some nitrogen is lost. Needless to say, the ferrocyanide must be quite white first.

It was just last night that I threw away a shelf near where I had ground dried ferrocyanide on years ago, the blue stains that eventually showed up were still there.

So anyways as some have found, the distillation from H2SO4 is less than theoretical. The addition of CuCl has been recommended - CA 6, 2375 (1912):

A New Method for the Estimation of Ferrocyanides. H.E. WILLIAMS. J. Soc. Chem. Ind. 31, 468-71 [1912] The limitations and errors of the methods in general use are discussed and the following method given: Dissolve 0.5 g. of the ferrocyanide in 100 ml. of water, transfer to a 250-300 ml. distilling flask and add 0.05-0.1 g. of CuCl dissolved in a few drops of HCl, or a sat'd soln of NaCl or KCl; gently shake to mix contents add 25-30 ml. of 4N H2SO4 and distil through a condenser into absorption flasks containing NaOH or KOH. The ferrocyanide is completely decomposed and the HCN distilled off in about 30 mins. gently boiling. The distillate is washed out and titrated in the usual manner with AgNO3 using a few drops of 10% KI soln. as indicator. If desired 25-30 g. of ferrocyanide may be taken, only between 2-3% of its wt. of CuCl being required. Sufficient H2SO4 over that required to form FeSO4 and NaHSO4 must be added. It is advisable to wash the CuCl with a little dil. H2SO4 before using to remove any CuCl2. Sol. or insol. ferrocyanides or those of the heavy metals may be estd. Insol. compds. are finely powdered, transferred to flask and requisite amts. of reagents added. In the case of ferric ferrocyanide Prussian blue etc., more CuCl than that already mentioned should be added. Results reported are practically theoretical even on an experimental scale using 20-25 lbs.

[Edited on 30-9-2009 by S.C. Wack]
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-9-2009 at 15:54

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
But the book cannot be downloaded from Google, except for a few snippets!
When I click that link there's a button to download PDF, and I did that just now.
Using Mozilla Firefox 3.52, the latest version, when I load http://books.google.com/books?id=qE4wAAAAMAAJ in the browser, I find that NO such button appears, inviting one to download the book as a PDF. Perhaps Mozilla Firefox cannot load such download buttons? What sort of browser did you use?

I find that most, if not all, books (usually incomplete, even the clearly copyright-expired ones) that Google posts online can be only viewed online as single OCRed pages, the images of which cannot be downloaded, except by screen-capture using something like ScreenThief.

[Edited on 30-9-09 by JohnWW]
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 29-9-2009 at 16:45

Using Mozilla Firefox 3.52, the latest version, when I load http://books.google.com/books?id=qE4wAAAAMAAJ in the browser, I find that NO such button appears, inviting one to download the book as a PDF. Perhaps Mozilla Firefox cannot load such download buttons? What sort of browser did you use?

I find that most, if not all, books (usually incomplete, even the clearly copyright-expired ones) that Google posts online can be only viewed online as single OCRed pages, the images of which cannot be downloaded, except by screen-capture using something like ScreenThief.

Your browser may be the problem. I'm using the lame old IE 6.0 something or other. Google won't let you download PDF for anything after 1920 or so, even if copyright is expired, but these old books are available, at least to me. What can I say? Except that I try to always check the links that I post?
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 29-9-2009 at 16:57

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
That problem and its solution have been discussed time and time again, even in this thread. Like it needs to crawl across the top of the screen in flashing red or something.
Those who ignore history.......

That's what happen when threads exceed a few pages.

Thanks for posting the other prep!
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 29-9-2009 at 20:19

I am considering a synthesis which may employ small amounts of HCN. Obviously this is an incredibly dangerous and hazardous compound and before I even think of generating such a compound I would like to know if anyone has ever dealt with it and exactly what precautions should be taken.

kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2009 at 21:43

Adding some Cu salt as catalyst of decomposition of ferrocyanide sounds very promissing.
I have a few grams of CuCN so I am going to try it.
I think I will try 25g of K4[Fe(CN)6] and 1g of CuCN.
I have read about decomposition of ferrocyanide with Hg or Mg salts, but Cu is something new for me :)
BTW.
Sometimes Google Books try cheating by not allowing some books to be downloaded by some IP numbers.
Then you try cheating by changing IP (proxy). In most cases even "useless" Codeen proxies are good for this purpose.
Taoiseach
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2009 at 22:50

Quote: Originally posted by garage chemist  
Ullmanns Encyclopedia says 0,57g/100g in 100% Ethanol at 19,5°C, and 4,91g/100g in Methanol at the same temperature. No other temperatures are given.

I've used Methanol with a Soxhlet extractor to extract KCN from the powdered residue of K4Fe(CN)6 fusion, and the residue from evaporating the MeOH on a boiling water bath in vacuum came out as 85% KCN upon titration with 0,1M AgNO3.

85% purity is less than satisfactory. Any idea what other crap has dissolved in your methanol?
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 00:18

Quote: Originally posted by crazyboy  
I am considering a synthesis which may employ small amounts of HCN. Obviously this is an incredibly dangerous and hazardous compound and before I even think of generating such a compound I would like to know if anyone has ever dealt with it and exactly what precautions should be taken.

Fume hood and gloves (absorbed through skin!), or outside. It is dangerous, but not THAT dangerous. The compound is about 3 times as toxic as chlorine, but has bad warning properties (some people cant smell it).
There are much more hazardous gasses like phosgene (10 times more toxic). I have generated quite a lot of HCN, and no problem at all.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 04:13

I also once had an experiment, which went awry somewhat, the contents of a test tube was bubbling vigorously, giving off pure HCN gas. I lighted the gas and it nicely burnt away, until the vigorous reaction stopped and evolution of gas became too slow to keep the flame. So, this also can be an option if you have to deal with a stream of HCN gas. In the past, this was used as a fiarly safe way to get rid of the gas, which burns to CO2, H2O and N2.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2009 at 23:19

I have just tested this "Cu method".
Effect is the same as without Cu :(
Maybe is works on high dilutions and large excess of acid.
Volume ~130 ml, 0,5g K4..... and ~48-fold mole excess of H2SO4 is not interesting for me. On this proportions it woks also without any Cu salt, as it is described in previously cited paper from JChemSoc.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 05:12

Quote: Originally posted by kmno4  
I have just tested this "Cu method".
Effect is the same as without Cu :(
Maybe is works on high dilutions and large excess of acid.
Volume ~130 ml, 0,5g K4..... and ~48-fold mole excess of H2SO4 is not interesting for me. On this proportions it woks also without any Cu salt, as it is described in previously cited paper from JChemSoc.

Without a catalyst only part of the ferrocyanide is converted to HCN. A few percent by weight of CuCl increases the yield of HCN considerably for me. How did you determine that the effect was the same as without Cu? It doesn't require a huge excess of H2SO4. See the patent I posted in the References Wanted thread about a week ago.
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 07:47

A few percent by weight of CuCl increases the yield of HCN considerably for me. How did you determine that the effect was the same as without Cu?

I determined it by weight, comparing (by amount of prepared NaCN) with no-Cu methode described earlier by me.
But what you mean by "considerably" ?
How much of KCN or NaCN can you get from, for example, 100g of anhydrous K4[Fe(CN)6] ? Just recalculate it accordingly to amount of K4... used by you.
BTW. I have found paper about cyanate/cyanide conversion:
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1918, 40 (3), pp 482–489.
The most important conclusion from reading it: cyanides are really powerfull reductants :P

ps. I read mentioned patent but I cannot find amounts of chemicals needed to convert given amount of K4.. to HCN. Some amounts are given but with no sense for me.

ps2
Funny thing. I discovered that CuCN I put in flask (with H2SO4, K4.. and H2O) reminded undissolved :o.
Maybe CuCN is not catalyst, but some chloride salts ?
I will try with CuCl, but I have to prepare it first :)

[Edited on 1-10-2009 by kmno4]
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 11:31

Did you use enough H2SO4? Without Cu you need 1.5 mol H2SO4 per mol of ferrocyanide. With Cu catalyst you need 5 mol H2SO4 per mol of Ferrocyanide. If the H2SO4 is your limiting reagent, adding catalyst won't increase the yield. That's the reason for the stoichiometry used in the patent.

Have you ever tried to titrate your NaCN product? Just to see how pure it is?

Seems like the Cu would need to be in solution to work, doesn't it?
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 12:15

Patents are very bad source of knowledge, in most cases.
I took 25g of K4[Fe(CN)6], 52g of 96% H2SO4, ~160g of H2O and 0,7g of CuCN (small granules, 1-2 mm).
After 5-hours heating (boiling) I still had lots of light green shit in a flask.
After cooling I removed green slury from flask and then noticed granules of CuCN on the bottom. It seem that CuCN is not soluble in this mixture on boliling. It would be good if someone else confirmed (or not) this observation.
Yield of NaCN: ~6g. A few grams remain in ethanolic/water solution (~200 ml) . So it is close to 50% recovery of cyanide from ferrocyanide.
Purity: unknown, probably very high because it works as it should work. I have to buy at last some standard sol. of AgNO3 to confirm this purity.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 12:27

Quote:
It seem that CuCN is not soluble in this mixture on boliling.

CuCN is not soluble in most aqueous, not even acids (up to a point). It dissoves in aqueous NaCN.
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2009 at 22:48

So maybe CuCN is not a catalyst (as patent states) in this reaction. Besides it is hard to imagine how any Cu salt can act for ferrocyanide decomposition in H2SO4.
But if CuCl really works catalytically, then real catalyst can be HCl. It sounds stupid, but....
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 02:29

I wonder if dilute HCl also works in place of H2SO4, as some H2SO4 tends to oxidise the cyanide. Indeed you wouldn't want the HCl to run in your EtOH/KOH, but at low concentration, water evaporates and not HCl, until the azeotrope is reached.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 05:20

So maybe CuCN is not a catalyst (as patent states) in this reaction. Besides it is hard to imagine how any Cu salt can act for ferrocyanide decomposition in H2SO4.
But if CuCl really works catalytically, then real catalyst can be HCl. It sounds stupid, but....

I think the Cu salt needs to be in solution. I dissolved the CuCl in a minimal amount of HCl before adding it, which is what Williams describes in the article quoted by S.C. Wack above. For me, CuCl gave over a 50% increase in HCN, determined by titration. I did not try to isolate the NaCN - I have enough of that for the time being.
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 17:10

For me, CuCl gave over a 50% increase in HCN, determined by titration.

It is interesting, but I would be more interested in absolute amounts and conditions.
50% increase from 30% gives 45%... etc :P
Has your ferrocyanide dissolved completely ?
I am afraid that Cu cannot exist in any soluble form in such mixtures, because it will be converted to unreactive CuCN in these conditions at once. However, I will try this. But first I will try simple NaCl as "catalyst" to exclude/confirm any "HCl mechanism".
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 18:58

Maybe you should read Williams' book?
http://books.google.com/books?id=vW86AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA361

Whether it's practical compared to other methods is debatable, but as far as actual results when done properly, it's completely non-bullshit.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 01:14

Its details are:
The Chemistry Of Cyanogen Compounds And Their Manufacture And Estimation (1915)
Author: Williams, Herbert E
Subject: Cyanogen compounds
Publisher: London : J. & A. Churchill.
You can download it through this page:
http://www.archive.org/details/chemistryofcyano00willrich

The URLs for downloading it directly are:
http://ia331413.us.archive.org/2/items/chemistryofcyano00wil... 42.5 Mb and
http://ia331413.us.archive.org/2/items/chemistryofcyano00wil... 11.7 Mb
kmno4
International Hazard

biggrin.gif posted on 3-10-2009 at 16:26

Whether it's practical compared to other methods is debatable, but as far as actual results when done properly, it's completely non-bullshit.

Williams' book says about patent (in case of use CuCl), not about practical method :P
This is reality, not patented :
25g K4[Fe(CN)6], 52g H2SO4, 100g H2O and ~0,5g CuCl dissolved in conc. NaCl solution(~10 cm3).
Reaction goes smoothly, boiling mixture is a little pinky, in the end of reaction it turns white and HCN stops to go off. After cooling colour is quickly getting blue. Of course flask is full of suspension, as usually....
Amount of distillate: 5,5 g
It corresponds to ~50% of total cyanide from K4[Fe(CN)6] and ~100% yield of HCN in this conditions.
Another patent, another bullshit....

[Edited on 4-10-2009 by kmno4]
Taoiseach
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 05:11

Ammonium cyanide from K4FeCN6 and NH4Cl is confirmed by "the chemistry of cyanogen compounds" p. 39, available from archive.org:

"It is prepared in the dry state by gently heating(sic!) finely powdered potassium cyanide or ferrocyanide with ammonium chloride: K4FeCN6 + 6NH4Cl ---> 4KCl + FeCl2 + 6NH4CN, and condensing the vapour in a receiver cooled with a freezing mixture"

Heating an intimate mixture of 37g ferrocyanide and 25g salmiac to 100°C should give 24g ammonium cyanide. Adding 20grams KOH in ethanol should lead to precipation of pure KCN.

NH4CN is slightly less volatile than HCN (bp 36°C vs 26°C) and might be more convenient to work with.

entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 08:54

Amount of distillate: 5,5 g
It corresponds to ~50% of total cyanide from K4[Fe(CN)6] and ~100% yield of HCN in this conditions.
Another patent, another bullshit....

How you figure 5.5 gm of distillate is 50% without titrating the CN?

Not bullshit, with CuCl I can get 80% of the CN from ferrocyanide. That's by titration.

S.C. Wack seems quite capable of detecting bullshit, and he said it ain't.

It didn't work for you because your CuCN wasn't dissolved.
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  31

Go To Top