Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Heterogeneous catalyst support and mounting.
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

thumbup.gif posted on 21-1-2013 at 14:30
Heterogeneous catalyst support and mounting.

For the amateur chemist, a large emphasis is commonly placed on catalyst preparation, but I've rarely come across a conversation about catalyst support and mounting. This may be because the preparation of catalysts is a large hurdle to begin with, so if one fails to make a catalyst, he doesn't have to worry about mounting it.

I'm in a situation where the catalyst is simple to prepare in large quantities, but I have no practical knowledge on how to mount the catalyst in a tube.

The details:
I am planning on mounting a catalyst made of a 50:50 mix of sodium carbonate and copper oxide in a 1/2 inch diameter threaded cast iron 90 degree elbow used for natural gas piping. The catalyst must be packed loosely enough to allow gases to flow through and the setup will operate at near atmospheric pressure. The catalyst tube will be heated to around 700C with either a charcoal fire or a propane torch (I haven't decided yet).

My question is, what is the best way to affix a powdered catalyst to a tube for the purpose of catalysis? Would simply pouring the powder into the tube suffice? Does anyone have first-hand practical advice for this kind of task?

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 24-2-2013 at 16:50

Vogel, I believe, mounts such a catalyst on chunks of pumice, which are then packed into the tube. As I recall, instructions are found in a section of "Vogel" that employs a tube furnace to produce ketones.

"Heisenberg" uses such a process to produce P2P in the cable hit "Breaking Bad".

Also, as for heating, Glass or Asbestos insulating "cloth" is usually wrapped around the metal tube, ni-chrome wire is wrapped around that, then insulation. Finally, heating is accomplished by electrifying the Nichrome via a Variac.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
21-11-2023 at 13:21

Go To Top