Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sodium or barium azide
**fsu**
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-1-2013 at 16:28
sodium or barium azide

I am looking to purchase either of these. If you have any, or know of a place that will sell to individuals, please let me know in this thread.

Please no talk of safety, how to make, or questions about its use. I will post a thread in the chemistry section after I have done experimenting with it. And we are all impressed by your knowledge of making it, and touched by your concern for safety, but keep it to u2u only.

Thanks.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2013 at 11:06

Quote: Originally posted by **fsu**  
I am looking to purchase either of these. If you have any, or know of a place that will sell to individuals, please let me know in this thread.

Please no talk of safety, how to make, or questions about its use. I will post a thread in the chemistry section after I have done experimenting with it. And we are all impressed by your knowledge of making it, and touched by your concern for safety, but keep it to u2u only.

Thanks.

Nice first post, with a bitchy tone too! Bravo :)
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 23-1-2013 at 12:11

A first post and then asking for such a chemical like NaN3? People want to know you somewhat before questions like this are answered. I would suggest you to show a little more respect for this community and first try to contribute something (e.g. your own experiences in chemistry experimenting) before you ask for a very toxic chemical which can be used as a precursor for highly explosive materials.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 23-1-2013 at 14:45

I concede with woelen: a new member asking for such materials is a one-way ticket to suspicion. If you were to explain your intended use, or were to be a little more "gentle" (in your post, you seem a trifle arrogant, not a quality desired when handling these materials), perhaps we would be more willing to help you.

Don't worry, nobody here will "steal your ideas" and plagiarize them as their own...

a) What do you need this reagent for?
b) How much do you need?

Hexavalent

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 23-1-2013 at 18:14

Sodium azide is usually a very restricted chemical. It can give off very poisonous fumes, especially when acidified. The gas fumes could also result in an explosion. Such chemicals that have multiple dangers tend to be more restricted than chemicals that only have a single danger. This should not be surprising, since two different types of hazards can become more dangerous when combined together. For example, if there is an accidental detonation of the fumes, it could cause toxic chemical to be propelled out in all directions, and then if any got on your skin it could potentially kill you. Sodium azide is also very reactive, and flammable. It is much more dangerous to try to extinguish a fire when there are potentially toxic fumes.

The best route for the amateur may be making the sodium azide oneself, although this can also be hazardous, and the overall yields may be low depending on what procedures are used.

I do not think barium azide is even commercially available. Technically it is an explosive.

All this being said, small ammounts of sodium azide are not really dangerous, assuming you treat it as the poison it is and avoid breathing the fumes. Of course, if there are any Cu or heavy metal ions in the solution while you are doing a reaction, it could leave behind a potentially dangerous primary explosive after drying... (probaby yet another reason it is so restricted)

All this is too bad, because sodium azide can be a useful (though hazardous) reagant in many organic reactions, and often offers a fast shortcut to bypass the alternative synthesis routes.

[Edited on 24-1-2013 by AndersHoveland]

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Go To Top