Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Material Science+Chemistry or just Chemistry?
Mixell
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 13:42
Material Science+Chemistry or just Chemistry?

I'm trying to decide to which program I should enroll: A 4.5 year program for a B.Sc. in material science and a B.Sc. in chemistry or just a B.Sc. in chemistry in 2.7 years.

Also, I have the option of pursuing a masters degree in chemistry, which should take an additional 2 years to get.

Any suggestions as to which path should I take?

I basically strive for a good paying and interesting job, preferably somewhere in North America or Europe.
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 14:20

Personally, I would get the B.Sc. and the Master's. You can get some good money with a Master's degree, and you'll be done with it just a bit after you would be with the double B.Sc. program. The only problem I have is that I know of no college that will do a combined B.Sc./Master's program in a bit over four and a half years. Six years I've seen, but from what I gather, eight years is typical. What sorcery are you plying?
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 15:38

http://schulich.technion.ac.il/Graduate-Program-in-Chemistry...
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 15:56

Quote:
...and a 3 - 4 years PhD program.

I'm very skeptical about this. Either the Ph.D. system is quite different from the US system (Ph.D. programs are completed in 6 years on average) or they're estimating quite minimally. The former could be likely, as the bachelor's program is only 3 years, which means either the B.Sc. is worth less than from a four-year, or the liberal arts requirement is removed entirely.

My doubts aside, if you want it, go for it.
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 16:07

What liberal arts requirement?
I don't think we have that in Israel.

Anyway, as far as I know the Ph. D. and M.Sc. from this institution are entirely equal to the american ones (or any other for the matter).
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 16:29

In the US, there is a requirement to do a bunch of general education classes. Literature, history, mathematics, art, foreign language, etcetera, in addition to your major.

Any Technion alumni in the house who can put a word in edgewise?
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 17:31

Quote: Originally posted by Vargouille  

I'm very skeptical about this. Either the Ph.D. system is quite different from the US system (Ph.D. programs are completed in 6 years on average) or they're estimating quite minimally. The former could be likely, as the bachelor's program is only 3 years, which means either the B.Sc. is worth less than from a four-year, or the liberal arts requirement is removed entirely.

I think I could provide some useful input here. In Norway (and other Bologna countries AFAIK) a bachelor's degree is three years, a master's degree is an additional two years, and a PhD is an additional three years. The PhD often ends up taking four, because while employed at the university you also have to use ~25% of your time on education (i.e. leading lab sessions). So the total time from beginning to finishing a PhD is 8-9 years. I'm assuming that Israel uses a similar system.

There's no major/minor system here, I study chemistry and nothing more. The exception is that I have to have a subject on philosophy and science theory (Examen Philosophicum), mathematics (because you obviously need it if you're going to do any sort of science) plus one free subject that has to be outside of your own faculty. For example, I'm taking an introductory course in medicine now.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-2-2013 at 06:59

The system here is exactly as Lambda described, right down to the obligatory mathematical courses, the free subject from another faculty and a course in the philosophy of science.

But in addition to that we have to take two physics courses and a course in C/mat-lab.
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-2-2013 at 18:35

So does anyone has anymore thoughts on the subject?

In addition to that, how is the job market for chemists now-days?
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 21-2-2013 at 08:58

I vote for a 4.5 year program for a B.Sc. in material science and a B.Sc. in chemistry.

Makes you more unique, increases your job opportunities and spans industries (which could be impacted by recessions, change/increase in demand for engineering jobs, space exploration, ...).

The countries you are willing to seek employment (US, Canada,...) may be another factor.
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-2-2013 at 10:51

Well,
I want to pursue a M.Sc. or even a PhD in Canada/US.
And the additional B.Sc. adds almost 2 years to the duration of studies...
And I don't know how and if I'll benefit from a having a B.Sc. in material science in addition to having a M.Sc. or even a PhD.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 21-2-2013 at 15:42

I would speculate that engineering related fields (material science) would have higher employment prospectus (more of a growth industry).

Go To Top