Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Recovery of Cesium salts from Pollucite ore.
freachem
Harmless

Mood: fluid

[*] posted on 30-3-2007 at 01:28
re-use of cesium compounds

Hi, I used cesium carbonate in an organic reaction which included the use of halobenzenes etc. Do you perhaps know of an efficient method for the recovery and reconversion of the cesium halides back to the carbonate. As mentioned this stuff is really expensive so any recovery would probably be worth attempting.
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-3-2007 at 02:00

Depends on what else is in your aqueous workup. Most common cesium salts are very soluble, except for the alum. Ion exchange resins are used to remove cesium from radioactive wastes, they might be a way to concentrate the cesium if there's other alkali metal ions around.

At this point all I can think of is to convert it to the alum, adding sodium and aluminium sulfate and concentrating to get the cesium alum to crystalise, collecting the cesium alum, and calcining it in a stream of CO2. You'll lose about a half gram of the alum per 100 ml of solution.
freachem
Harmless

Mood: fluid

[*] posted on 30-3-2007 at 03:05

Thanks

Just for added info

The by products are cesium iodide, cesium bromide, and a triphenylphosphor copper complex. The reaction was carried out under nitrogen. The salts were filtered free from the solvent mix. Some water may have been produced during the reaction.

Thank you again for the info

[Edited on 30-3-2007 by freachem]
ThatchemistKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-5-2011 at 18:22

I just bought 1 kg of CsCl for 21.50 I assume though that this then was an outrageous deal? I dont need that much I am willing to sell off 300 grams of it for like 70 dollars per 100 grams if anyone is interested?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top