Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Li2O2 Synthesis ?
KonkreteRocketry
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-3-2013 at 06:35
Li2O2 Synthesis ?

Any idea how to make Li2O2 ? From H2O2 ? Na2O2 ?

Also any idea how to anhydrous lithium hydroperoxide ?

For this reaction, do we need a high % of H2O2 ?
LiOH.H2O + H2O2 → LiOOH.H2O + H2O

is there any info about Li2O2 and HLiO2 ? please ?

Also, are peroxides a better oxidizer than nitrate or perchlorates ?

Thanks.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 12-3-2013 at 11:48

Peroxides are MUCH more dangerous than nitrates or perchlorates, when used as oxidizer in fireworks. Actually, they are so dangerous that this is playing with your life.

Lithium peroxide can more easily be prepared than other alkali peroxides. You can make lithium hydroperoxide by dissolving LiOH in 30% H2O2 and then allowing the water to evaporate. What remains is solid LiOOH. IIRC some hydrated form, but I'm not sure about that.

If you play around with this stuff, then be careful and do NOT make pyrotechnic mixtures with this if you want to keep your fingers and hands.
I have read stories on internet of people playing with Na2O2, mixed with some fuel and this ignited spontaneously.

I myself have done an experiment where I sprinkled some Na2O2 on paper and then allowed the Na2O2 to become somewhat humid. The paper ignited and a very intense fire started, which was impossible to extinguish.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 12-3-2013 at 12:05

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Peroxides are MUCH more dangerous than nitrates or perchlorates, when used as oxidizer in fireworks. Actually, they are so dangerous that this is playing with your life.

Agreed. I was once destroying some old potassium dispersion (finely divided potassium mixed with wax) with butanol, and decided to scrape some of the stuff off of the side of the jar with a spatula.

*BAM!!*

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
KonkreteRocketry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 05:14

Lithium peroxide can more easily be prepared than other alkali peroxides. You can make lithium hydroperoxide by dissolving LiOH in 30% H2O2 and then allowing the water to evaporate. What remains is solid LiOOH. IIRC some hydrated form, but I'm not sure about that.

If you play around with this stuff, then be careful and do NOT make pyrotechnic mixtures with this if you want to keep your fingers and hands.
I have read stories on internet of people playing with Na2O2, mixed with some fuel and this ignited spontaneously.

I myself have done an experiment where I sprinkled some Na2O2 on paper and then allowed the Na2O2 to become somewhat humid. The paper ignited and a very intense fire started, which was impossible to extinguish.

Are there any safe way or safe method to make pyrotechnic mixes ? like low temp, etc..
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 11:07

There are no safe methods for making pyrotechnic mixes with peroxides. Even diapering on paper is not safe and can lead to spontaneous ignition.

If you want to experiment with pyrotechnics, stick to nitrates and perchlorates. Even better may be the experimenting in other less riskful parts of chemistry ;) But I understand, I also have done experiments with KNO3 and sugar when I was a 16 year old lad.

KonkreteRocketry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-3-2013 at 11:39

There are no safe methods for making pyrotechnic mixes with peroxides. Even diapering on paper is not safe and can lead to spontaneous ignition.

If you want to experiment with pyrotechnics, stick to nitrates and perchlorates. Even better may be the experimenting in other less riskful parts of chemistry ;) But I understand, I also have done experiments with KNO3 and sugar when I was a 16 year old lad.

Yeah i have already done most stuff i can with KNO3, except that i get a very bad performance while trying KNO3 and aluminum powder. It dose not make a flash powder like in other videos, do u know any good way to process KNO3 and aluminum powder for flash powder ? My aluminum powder is from crushed aluminum foil.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 14-3-2013 at 12:24

Your aluminium powder is too coarse. For flash powder you need very fine aluminium, something like 400 mesh. The KNO3 must also be very fine. Making very fine KNO3 is easier though than making very fine Al-powder. Crushing Al-foil is not enough, the particles need to be very fine (400 mesh consists of particles of 35 to 40 microns).

Also keep in mind that igniting flash powder can be quite hard. You may need some other mix which ignites the flash-powder.

Beware when playing around with flash powder. Good flash powder is quite dangerous stuff. One gram of flash powder is enough to rip off fingers if it ignites close to your hands!! So, be careful! K3wls who blow up things and get accidents are not a good thing at all.

Go To Top