Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Iridescent anthracite
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 10:13
Iridescent anthracite

What makes these colors I wonder?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hankrogers/7811438654/in/set-72...
http://theamericanscholar.org/coal-is-a-rock-that-burns/

"In any case, the coal that washes up on area beaches frequently has a smooth polish from tumbling in the surf; at times it occurs in great abundance. These often large chunks of anthracite that make beautiful laboratory hand specimens (or exceptional Christmas presents!). Some anthracite specimens display iridescence or are of high quality to be considered "jet" - a jewelry grade of semiprecious coal."
http://3dparks.wr.usgs.gov/nyc/shoreline/seacoal.htm

[Edited on 13-3-2013 by Morgan]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 11:04

More fine specimens here.
A tentative explanation too.

Trippy coal?

SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 11:14

I'd imagine some birefrigant effect. Definitely a surface effect. Multiple ultra thin (translucent) layers of carbon, arranged slightly off tangent could have this effect.

Or, imagine a droplet of engine oil in a puddle of water, and similar rainbow of pastels being created. Both thin (surface effect), and in this case, both petroleum products.

[Edited on 13-3-2013 by SM2]
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 11:16

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
From the page cited:
Quote:
A rare find, miners sometimes collect coal naturally colored with purples, reds, yellows, and blues...sometimes even in ROYGBIV order.
It's called thin-film interference. Seeing rainbow-ordered colors means that the film is changing thickness.
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 19:29

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  

Trippy coal?

Most colorful! There's one photo that appears it has some quartz in with the coal, the one that looks like opal. And some of the hues are different, less like an oil on water, bismuth, or anodized titanium look, "softer" than the latter three. A good red color isn't seen with a titanium spectrum.
If there're an easy way to thin film deposition some metal oxides on my meter lengths of 25mm quartz tubing, I'd like to try making some colorful designs or patterns as an art project. Here's some grey titanium tubing I heated with a propane torch sitting on the back porch, in different light the vividness changes. Also handling them often eventually dulls the color.

Flamed Ti.JPG - 68kB Ti Banding Pattern.JPG - 61kB DSC_0320.JPG - 62kB

[Edited on 14-3-2013 by Morgan]

Titanium tubing.JPG - 67kB

[Edited on 14-3-2013 by Morgan]
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 13-3-2013 at 22:19

Some types of coal contain a portion of hydrocarbons, the most extreme of example of this being the mineral jet, a form of lignite. It is likely that these viscous oily layers are causing interference effects. I have also seen some hard acrylic plastics that seem to have a slight iridescent appearance (and when a laser is shown through there are obvious interference effects with bands forming). I have read it has something to do with stress in the plastic when it was being formed.

[Edited on 14-3-2013 by AndersHoveland]

Go To Top