Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: who actually makes the glass?
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 20:53
who actually makes the glass?

Many here have bought Chinese/Asian(?) brands like Laboy, Synthware, Kantu, expediglass and a few others and have found them with varygrades of quality. But when I see things like this http://expediglass.com/Graphics/FT-0010.jpg or the synthware logo in the old Laboy catalogs( I don't know how to post pictures or you'd see them here) and then take close looks at how the glass was made I can't help but wonder: how many glass makers are actually out there and how many re-brands are being sold? maybe this is dumb but it's been assumed here that laboy & synthware are the same and even Wilmad was accused of rebranding chinese glass here but so far nothing conclusive or damning has been posted. email the makers and ask? I've tried but so far I'm getting the "silence treatment" so I am asking you folks here: what is really going on? If the real makers where known, avoiding crap glass might be easier.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
binaryclock01
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-5-2013 at 05:38

It's a good question Funkerman. All I know is that people recommend laboy and my dealings with them so far have been excellent and even on par of what you would expect with a US company so far. Some of the ebay sellers in the US look like they just import synthware/laboy glass and add $20 to the kit for their time and effort. It's a modest markup and I would of purchased from some of the more creditable US ebay sellers but I'm in Canada, and believe it or not, shipping from the US to Canada can take longer than from China to Canada. The damn US/Canada border customs on ground packages can hold your package for 1-2 weeks on common packages and that's quite common. I couldn't imagine the holdup on a glassware/chemistry package coming from the US.

Go To Top