Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Weird looking wound(s)
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

shocked.gif posted on 21-5-2013 at 11:46
Weird looking wound(s)

I have a wound on one of my finger joint(if that's the word). The wound is very very dry skin, and is only sligthly more red than the suronding skin. At the border of the wound, there is a rim about 1mm tick made of skin. The finger hurt a little during uses. When in uses, sometime, the skin break open and blood come out of it.What bother me is that the wound have been there for about a month and half. Three week after I saw it, it somewath disapeared, but two week afterr it re-apeared. Few days ago I saw that on my other hand thumb joint, a similar wound appeared, albeit less severe.

I will take a photo in two hour or so.

PS: My face burns are less severe, and may be seen as .normal. teenager skin defect, but I do think I will be marked for life. Price of chemistry hobby I guess.

I never asked for this.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 21-5-2013 at 11:47

What caused the burns, do you know?

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 21-5-2013 at 12:59

Start using face shield and some good gloves so it doesn't happen again.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2013 at 13:03

No, I don't.

It is a bit hard to see, but you can see a two day old skin shred, the pictures doesn't show the wound right.

[Edited on 21-5-2013 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 21-5-2013 at 13:17

I hope that the problem with your fingers is not due to some allergy. Some people become sensitized by certain chemicals. This can go unnoticed for years and then suddenly, one bad day, the problem appears and from that day they never can handle the chemical compound again without severe skin problems afterwards.

I do not say that your wounds are due to allergy, but it might be one direction to investigate. Did you have repeated exposure to some chemicals? Do you have a concrete cause of the wounds, or did they apparently without reason appear?

Latex can be a source of such problems, sometimes the powder inside gloves. Another well-known sensitizer is hexavalent chromium. Some transition metals (nickel, hexavalent chromium, cadmium, cobalt) are known sensitizers. The most serious ones, though, are many organic compounds, especially the somewhat more complex ones. Stuff from oranges, kiwis and other fruits also can be sensitizers.

Another aspect of sensitization is that some sensitizers need an initiator to act so. Some organics may become a strong sensitizer, in the presence of another chemical, while both chemicals on their own may be relatively benign.

Some people also can have wounds simply by frequent dehydration. I myself notice that if I wash my hands very often, then the skin becomes very dry and in winter time this even may lead to little cracks in the skin. Annoying but nothing serious. In the past I had the habit to wash my hands frequently during experimenting, just to be sure that no chemicals stick to my skin, but I abandoned that practice. So, if I experiment, especially when it is cold in the lab in wintertime, I try to avoid washing and wetting my hands as much as possible and I only wash them when I have had contact with a solution (e.g. liquid running along the outside of a bottle or test tube), and when I'm done experimenting, preparing for leaving the lab.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2013 at 13:28

I only work with neoprene and PVC gloves. Repeated exposure, of course, sulphuric acid for example, and a lot of others. There a reason, maybe not chemistry related, but it look like so, but I don't know from where they come. The wound look pretty deep, and I'm sure that if I take it and use force it would shred my skin. I work with all what you said but cadmium. I never had dehydratation actually, and must say it is very weird to have such a wound.

I never asked for this.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 21-5-2013 at 14:17

That looks somewhat like my eczema that comes and goes on my hands and fingers, especially the right one. This showed up about 5 years ago and won't go away. My doctor said it was due to allergy - I said "from what?" - he said "I have no idea." I keep it knocked down with a prescription cream: Betamethasone Dipropionate cream, USP 0.05%.

Dry weather and frequent washing makes it worse. It tends to itch.

please see vulture's public advisory on photo size limitations

[Edited on 21-5-2013 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2013 at 15:06

Never seen an skin allergy like this, the wound is very deep, and much like a chemical burn, the skin rim would confirm that. It is like If I had a vein(if that's the word) all around the wound. Look very weird, I hope it is not a sign of poisoning!

As for picture size, next time I will put a download link, will be simpler. I have hard time with cameras.

I never asked for this.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2013 at 15:16

Quote: Originally posted by Random  
Start using face shield and some good gloves so it doesn't happen again.

Didn't saw this one ha ha ha. I got a face shield after* my face burns. I got good gloves, neoprene one. At least they don't catch fire with conc. nitric acid.

I never asked for this.
Intergalactic_Captain
Hazard to Others

Mood: frabjous

[*] posted on 22-5-2013 at 05:10

I'd take Woelen's advice on this one... Your pictures are just far enough out of focus that it's difficult to tell just what exactly that wound is, but I've had similar things happen. I have poor circulation in my hands and feet (likely genetic, one of my sisters has clinical raynauds and the other is somewhere between us), along with very dry skin when the humidity drops... Although I normally heal relatively quickly, something that would heal cleanly in a week during the summer will take three to four and develop "rims" of scar tissue during the winter - The dryness coupled with lower circulation is quite the double blow...

Take Woelen's advice here and avoid washing your hands if you can - If you must, use the mildest soap that will do the job, or just plain water. Avoid contact with defatting solvents, basically any alcohols and anything non-polar, as they will literally dissolve the oils out of your skin and dry it even further. And a better picture would help - You need to know if this is an allergic spot reaction, a rash, a chemical burn, or whatever to figure out the best course of action.

If you see me running, try to keep up.
Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 23-5-2013 at 06:20

my 2 cents: Please consult a doctor. Could be that this is entirely not chemicals related. Keep an eye on it, and see whether more such spots appear over the coming time.

Besides, if you use soap or other fat dissolving agents, the skin becomes more open to the absorption of stuff from outside your body, as it opens up your pores. I completely agree with woelen, and use similar practises, i.e. wash with plenty of water, if really needed with a brush, only after contact with chemicals/solutions. Soap and cleaning agents only after work is done.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 23-5-2013 at 07:51

What you have described sounds/looks like a fungal infection, most similar to "ringworm" (tinea, sp.).

Cheers,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 23-5-2013 at 07:54

A fresh idea Ozone. It does look similar to "athletes foot" that I used to get as a teen. try some anti-fungal cream for a couple weeks, maybe that will resolve it.

I would of course consult a dermatologist if it persists. Good luck plante, and be safe.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 23-5-2013 at 08:19

Chemical-induced excema. ( I think, your pictures are shitty... and too big, shrink them) had this on my pinky many many years ago thanks to a few drops of lead acetate solution.

In Canada a 0.5% hydrocortisone cream can be bought OTC. Put this on the rash, put a cotton glove on overnight and repeat for a while. It may reappear for a few years when sensitized by environmental factors.
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 23-5-2013 at 09:37

You mentioned ur face, what happened to it :o

Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 24-5-2013 at 05:35

interesting.. seems as this might be what i had!? i had this damn thing all over my body (well ok.. 85%..)
i even had it long time after i was forced off chemistry for as much as 2.5 years and to this day i still have it (not that severe tho..
i now have it on my leg, i believe one tiny 0.5x0.5 cm mark on each arm..
dry reddish skin..
have you been exposed to SO3 or similar gasses? i cannot remember exactly when i first time met SO3, but it could be around the same time i started getting these weird things.. doctor explained it as being ''dry skin''
it comes and goes as i noticed, using tonnes of soaps makes it worse and winther isnt good either
it forms some sort of white crisp on the surface that you can scratch off, and ofcourse it becomes pretty itchy after that where you will be left with thinking it was a bad idea to scratch it off.. :P

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 06:53

A few hours ago I washed some glassware, and one had a small amount of diluted H2SO4 remaineing on it. When I washed it, some got on my wounded finger, a burning sensation was observed, after washing my hands, and a few hour of reading later, the wound disapeared and doesnt hurt!!! I'm all mixed up, how can it have come from bleeding very tin sensitive skin to healty skin???

Very weird.

I never asked for this.
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 08:05

Hmmm, the healing powers of sulfuric acid :D
Case study by Plante

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 11:02

woelen "I hope that the problem with your fingers is not due to some allergy. Some people become sensitized by certain chemicals."

Sounds like an accurate diagnosis. Possibly some contaminating material is still in the wound?

"Some people also can have wounds simply by frequent dehydration. I myself notice that if I wash my hands very often, then the skin becomes very dry and in winter time this even may lead to little cracks in the skin. Annoying but nothing serious. In the past I had the habit to wash my hands frequently during experimenting, just to be sure that no chemicals stick to my skin, but I abandoned that practice. So, if I experiment, especially when it is cold in the lab in wintertime, I try to avoid washing and wetting my hands as much as possible"

I have dealt with this for decades and the answer is simple, keep skin moist with Aloe Vera and never get cold water on your hands. Wait until the water gets warm. Most people stick their hands in the water while it is still running cold. Try it, you will see a big decrease in the skin cracking problems in winter if you avoid cold water.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 11:26

Maybe the H2SO4 indeed dissolved some sensitizing chemical and rinsed it away from the wound. Maybe some insoluble oxide, which now is removed?

Anyway, good to read that the skin is better now. Let's hope it remains so. Please report back on that after a few days.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 14:46

Or it cauterized.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
papaya
National Hazard

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 12:48

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
A few hours ago I washed some glassware, and one had a small amount of diluted H2SO4 remaineing on it. When I washed it, some got on my wounded finger, a burning sensation was observed, after washing my hands, and a few hour of reading later, the wound disapeared and doesnt hurt!!! I'm all mixed up, how can it have come from bleeding very tin sensitive skin to healty skin???

Very weird.

Killed fungi?
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 13:19

Well, it either removed the substance that caused allergy or broke whatever it had inside leaving it normal. I wouldn't recommend the topical use of H2SO4 though :D

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 14:07

Plante1999's Topical solution

For chemical sensitizing and infection

Active ingredient:
30% H2SO4 USP

Non active ingredient:
65% Water
5% stabilisators and inhibitors

No, really, the wound look very good now, but I'll need to make another more complete wash, as some spot are still wounded.

I never asked for this.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 21:20

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
Plante1999's Topical solution

For chemical sensitizing and infection

Active ingredient:
30% H2SO4 USP

Non active ingredient:
65% Water
5% stabilisators and inhibitors

But will it blend?
I'd recommend trying Aloe Vera if you haven't already - that stuff seems to cure everything around here...

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top