Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Glassware etching
nimbus8
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-5-2013 at 16:13
Glassware etching

Hey everyone.
Does anyone have any information on how bases and acids remove the top layer of glassware?
Is it true that when the top layer is removed chemicals begin to bond to the glassware easier and are even harder to get out, if so what type of reaction from the bases and acids cause this and how does it change the glassware's chemistry to bond more easily?

And finally as an alternative to strong base and acid cleaning, are strong oxidative agents safe in this respect, do they react with the glassware in any way like strong bases or acids do?
Chemistrium
Harmless

Mood: Radioactive

[*] posted on 28-5-2013 at 16:58

Well i'm pretty sure molten sodium hydroxide reacts with glass to make sodium silicate (the same with other strong bases to create their corresponding silicate). The only acid I've heard of which reacts with glass is hydrofluoric acid.
Quote: Originally posted by nimbus8  
Is it true that when the top layer is removed chemicals begin to bond to the glassware easier and are even harder to get out, if so what type of reaction from the bases and acids cause this and how does it change the glassware's chemistry to bond more easily?

I'm not sure it's true for chemicals to bond to the glass easier (it may become harder to clean...), but I know its make it easier for bacteria to hide on the rougher surface.

Go To Top