Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Easy organic solvents
nimbus8
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 17:17
Easy organic solvents

What are some easy to synthesize organic solvents i can make at home? And im not talking about some sketchy distillation of pool chemicals which might have several impurities. I know there was this one from isopropyl alcohol but i forget what it was.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 17:30

It's isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol, 2-propanol, propan-2-ol). How old are you?

[Edited on 6/22/13 by bfesser]

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 17:35

If you start by telling pool chemicals give impure product, you people are not going to like to answer. Especially if you talk about hypochlorite, AJkoer is not going to be happy ha ha

Chloroform of very high grade can be made from hypochlorites and acetone or ethyl alcohol

Diethyl ether can be made by distilling ethyl alcohol with sulphuric acid

Isopranol, by salting the 70% one

Bromoform from bromine, NaOH and acetone

Ethylene glycol from antifreeze or radiator liquid for car

Glycerol from your local pharmacy

Methylene dichloride from paint stripper

Benzene from benzoate and NaOH

dioxane from ethylene glycol and sulphuric acid

Turpentine, kerosene from your local hardware store And methanol if you are in Canada Some place got toluene and xylene, but not here.

On the more exotic point, you could make 1-2 dichloro propane from map pro gas and chlorine, see the related thread.

I never asked for this.
nimbus8
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 18:12

Lol i apologize if i stepped on anyone's toes by not liking pool chemicals. Im 18 and thank you for your advice.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 19:01

We do love us some pool chemicals around here... Any relatively cheap and useful source of OTC reagents, really. I love cruising the isles at local hardware stores, and specialty paint stores, peeking at the labels and checking MSDS on my phones. Like a kid in a candy store...

[Edited on 22-6-2013 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 19:11

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
I love cruising the isles at local hardware stores, and specialty paint stores, peeking at the labels and checking MSDS on my phones. Like a kid in a candy store...
[Edited on 22-6-2013 by Bot0nist]

I could not agree with that statement more :) In fact, just driving past hardware stores gives me the impulse to experiment.

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
22-6-2013 at 01:40
ElizabethGreene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-6-2013 at 16:27

Quote:
im not talking about some sketchy distillation of pool chemicals which might have several impurities

The purity of a chemical depends largely on the skill of the Chemist synthesizing it. That holds true if he works at a Sigma-Aldrich plant or if she's working in her driveway.
ElizabethGreene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-6-2013 at 07:00

Here's a new one I haven't seen on here before:
According to Wikipedia, Mineral Spirits AKA Paint Thinner AKA Stoddard Solvent contains
Quote:

a mixture of aliphatic and alicyclic C7 to C12 hydrocarbons with a maximum content of 25% of C7 to C12 aromatic hydrocarbons. A typical composition for mineral spirits is > 65% C10 or higher hydrocarbons, aliphatic solvent hexane, and a maximum benzene content of 0.1% by volume

If I read that correctly, then careful* fractional distillation of this should give you a fairly large number of -anes and -enes. As a bonus, it's really inexpensive at $10 (US) for 1 gallon.

* Careful in this context means no open flames, slow heating, and good ventilation. Like most things in O-Chem, these solvents take great delight in simultaneously poisoning you, giving you cancer, and burning your lab down.

Go To Top