Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Elephant's Toothpaste Variations
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 05:38
Elephant's Toothpaste Variations

Hey everyone- long time no see!

To increase general interest and awareness in chemistry, I will be doing different experiments at this year's Maker Faire Detroit! I have a bunch of really cool demonstrations planned, including the Formaldehyde clock reaction and the Briggs-Rauscher reaction, I got a periodic table shower curtain for a backdrop, and I am ordering goodies to give away!

Anyways, I want to do elephant toothpaste as one of my demonstrations. I have plenty of H2O2. I am sure that everyone can see where the problem comes in- KI is very expensive because of those radioactive nuts that drove up the price. I have ~50g I2, but I don't want to waste that making more KI. Right now I only have 35g, and it is much too expensive to throw in peroxide.

Anyways- I know that you can do this reaction with MnO2, yeast, and iron oxide. They just don't give the same effect, though! Does anyone have any good and cheap variations to this fun experiment?

Thanks,
SciHide

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 05:51

You can dilute your KI, but it tends to slow the reaction down. That is what we do at my university, still cool and foamy, just not as quite spectacular.

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm
bbartlog
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 05:54

I recall doing this by mixing H2O2 35%, detergent, and CuSO4, and then adding NaOH dissolved in some water. I've also seen claims that K2SO4 will catalyze the decomposition, but I tried that and as far as I can tell it doesn't work.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 08:46

I will be sure to look at the copper one, that sounds quite interesting. Is the reaction pretty good and fast?

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Go To Top