Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Strong Acids for free‽ -- Twin Cities, MN [nothing left, sorry]
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-7-2013 at 18:06
Strong Acids for free‽ -- Twin Cities, MN [nothing left, sorry]

<del>I've got a nearly full 500 mL bottle of ACS grade sulfuric acid (95-98%) from Mallinckrodt and approximately a liter of colorless hardware store grade hydrochloric acid ("HYDROGEN CHLORIDE . . . 31.45%") that I'm looking to get rid of (don't want these in my tiny apartment bedroom closet anymore). The sulfuric acid may have discolored slightly in storage (original HDPE bottle) over the years, but it's still valuable. The hydrochloric acid is currently in a glass stoppered reagent bottle that I'm unwilling to part with. If anyone in the area wants these and can bring their own bottle for the HCl(aq), please contact me.

I also have a 125ml glass reagent bottle full of 1,4-dichlorobenzene mothballs, up for grabs (including bottle). I'll keep rummaging through my bins for extra goodies for anyone who could take these off my hands. Even if you don't particularly need the acids, I'm sure I can scrounge up something that will make the stop worth your while. Again, I live in St. Paul, MN, so post here or PM me if interested.

<strong>tl;dr: ~1 L H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub>, ~1 L HCl, <em>p</em>-dichlorobenzene + goodies up for grabs, St. Paul, MN</strong></del>

[Edited on 7/26/13 by bfesser]

sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 11:43

I am near there every once in awhile, I'd be tempted to stop by for some goodies :D

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 15:54

Yes, I would definitely like the H2SO4 and para-dichlorobenzene! U2U sent.

[Edited on 6-7-2013 by Cheddite Cheese]

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 16:10

<del><em>p</eM>-DCB and H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> are now claimed by <strong>cheddite</strong>, <em>unless</em> someone can take both acids and can pick up at an earlier date&mdash;I'm desperate to be rid of the HCl, but dislike waste.</del>

[Edited on 7/26/13 by bfesser]

dontasker
Harmless

Mood: Plopping

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 08:36

Dang. That's very tempting, but I'm not in need of the HCl and I just picked up a gallon of H2SO4 at Menards.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 08:51

Is there anything you're in need of which I might have, to sweeten the deal?

sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 10:46

the dichlorobenzene is the most tempting part :D Too bad I'm on vacation

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 22-7-2013 at 16:37
Giving away free chemistry stuff!

<del>I still have these chemicals for anyone who wants them (must be over 18 or have a parent along). I'll throw in a handful of goodies to anyone who can pick up both of the acids (B.Y.O.B for the HCl)&mdash;including a 9-well glass plate, a poly vacuum aspirator, a junky Büchner, a jar of crude p-DCB, and maybe a sealed bottle of Sigma-Aldrich Riboflavin (5g IIRC). If you're really quick, I might even dig out a few more freebies&mdash;125 ml Wheaton glass acid bottles with pour rings, anyone? Oh, and I have one AA battery worth of Li foil in mineral oil that I'd like to give away (bring a jar).</del>

<strong><a id="nod"></a>South Dakotan's, Please Read:</strong>
Finally, I'm wondering if there any members in or near Oacoma, Lyman County, South Dakota. If so, please U2U me. There is something special I need for a <em>top secret</em> project, which can only be found there, and I'm looking for someone to collect it and ship it to me. Pay is negotiable&mdash;more if you can take quality photographs (I can mail you an <em>SD</em> card). Think of it as a geocaching scavenger hunt (no GPS required, although GPS data would be extra points).

Here's a clue:
top_secret_project.jpg - 195kB

[Edited on 6.8.13 by bfesser]

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
25-7-2013 at 17:24
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
25-7-2013 at 17:49
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 28-7-2013 at 15:13

Check it out on your way to Sturgis. QOTSA starts it off this year; should be a, well, a week of expensive trailered-in bikes and their owners I guess. Weather looks good though.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden

Go To Top