Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DIY propane furnace
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-7-2013 at 20:30
DIY propane furnace

Hackaday recently posted a video on constructing and using a forge which might be useful in the chemistry field. Read the comments for more information, for example about refractory cement.

ElectroWin
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-7-2013 at 11:07

while very nice, the method in the video makes a rather small sized forge; i suggest upsizing this, eg: use a pair of gallon paint cans, stacked; these have a 7" diameter, so together will make somewhat over a foot long; and use thicker, lighter-weight insulation consisting of the above plaster plus expanded perlite. make it 1.5 to 2" thick.

Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-7-2013 at 12:07

How much gas do you think something like that uses? I once made a charcoal forge, it was a metal trash can lined with some type of refractory clay mixed with a little straw. It had a hole in the bottom with a tube leading to a hair drier. you start a fire in the bottom with wood and then add charcoal and start blowing in the air. then a bit under the rim was another hole to insert metal to heat. but I dropped it and broke the lining :(

I think both gas and coal have their advantages, lighting the charcoal was a bitch. if you were to make something with gas to light the charcoal?

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Blue Matter
Hazard to Others

Mood: Optimus

[*] posted on 30-7-2013 at 12:51

Think you might find this interesting pyro http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/bestfuel.html

Also I made a furnace out of some fire brick and a torch used to melt ice off of a airport runway I ran it multiple hours a day and it lasted probabley 2 weeks or so.

Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-7-2013 at 14:40

That's a very interesting comparison. they should factor in one more thing: Coke (not methyl (1R,2R,3S,5S)-3- (benzoyloxy)-8-methyl-8-azabicyclo[3.2.1] octane-2-carboxylate or that brown stuff from a bottle that you drink but roasted coal) it's almost pure carbon, burns hotter and leaves no ashes, Oh did I mention that its free? you can steal it at any big harbour. jeez, I should build another furnace and go steal a trainer full on a sunday :) it burns as high as 2000*C

I also have an obsession with O2, I love trying to get higher temperatures with it :) I tried rigging my bunsen burner with it, didn't work though :(

I am on holiday now and am bored, Ill try to throw something together with ''clay'' from the corn field at the end of the garden (It's 25m from the back of the house, i'll tell you theres nothing like watching children of the corn and then going for a stroll in the corn :))
Ill see what I can do and post pics tomorrow.

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
testimento
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-7-2013 at 16:12

Coke is made from anthracite by roasting it. Produces high temps etc. Very good, I used.

I have a furnace that is almost ready, but I havent kept hurry with it because I dont need it right now. But the strucure is as described in picture I attach to this message.

The base is fireclay moulded, and the sides are just firebricks set over there and the top is two firebricks that fit between the walls. The dimensions inside are about 250x250mm, and the total height about 350mm. There are 4 air holes total, with one larger for burner, I made a square steel pipe and line fan with 500m3/h air blow, when I put coal inside the oven, it will burn VERY hot, at least up to 1500C. I'll post some pics for you when I fix it complete.

oven.png - 23kB
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-7-2013 at 18:08

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro  
That's a very interesting comparison. they should factor in one more thing: Coke (not methyl (1R,2R,3S,5S)-3- (benzoyloxy)-8-methyl-8-azabicyclo[3.2.1] octane-2-carboxylate or that brown stuff from a bottle that you drink but roasted coal) it's almost pure carbon, burns hotter and leaves no ashes, Oh did I mention that its free? you can steal it at any big harbour. jeez, I should build another furnace and go steal a trainer full on a sunday :) it burns as high as 2000*C

I also have an obsession with O2, I love trying to get higher temperatures with it :) I tried rigging my bunsen burner with it, didn't work though :(

I am on holiday now and am bored, Ill try to throw something together with ''clay'' from the corn field at the end of the garden (It's 25m from the back of the house, i'll tell you theres nothing like watching children of the corn and then going for a stroll in the corn :))
Ill see what I can do and post pics tomorrow.

I have a forge that runs on coke and I can tell you it does leave ashes. The coke gets up to high enough temperatures to melt steel, and I have previously cast ~150ml of copper from a crucible using it. Wonderful device, however my current forge does not have a way of removing the ash, so it gets a little clogged after a while :(.
In another experiment I attempted to make KNO2 from the decomposition of KNO3 in a copper pipe. This was unsuccessful, as the KNO3 bubbled so vigorously that it all sprayed out of the pipe. I did have some success with using an ordinary steel can, however to do it properly I need a nice ceramic/metal crucible. Does anyone know of a decent metal pot that could be used as a crucible?

Also, here's a picture of the forge: (the white stuff is zinc oxide).

forge.jpg - 226kB

Go To Top