Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loudest/Most Impressive Explosions
golfpro
Banned

Mood: Cap Sensitive

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 18:20
Loudest/Most Impressive Explosions

I am wondering about which explosives are very impressive in their sound, shockwave, etc. to a viewer 50-800 yards away and not just how much they can bend a quarter inch steel plate that it rests on. It seems that cast ETN isn't as loud as lightly pressed ETN fully detonating in amounts around 5 grams, how does EGDN compare to ETN (5-50 grams) as far as what it looks/sounds like from a distance? I am very familiar with ETN and the synth for it, but I think there would be a small learning curve for EGDN and the handling of it. I also wonder about AN based stuff in the 500g or so range, like Ammonal, or maybe ANSU (AN/Sugar 85/15) with a 30g ETN booster.

Something tells me very light and fluffy ETN (occupying large volume) would be very loud, at least compared to the same mass at cast density, but I can't think of why this would be.
Dany
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-8-2013 at 01:42

Hello golfpro,

To make the loudest explosion the shockwave propagating in air should have high amplitude (high overpressure) coupled with long duration. one example is nuclear explosions which have high overpressure shockwave and duration in the range of seconds. Ethylene glycol dinitrate (1.49 g/cm3) performance is inferior to ETN (1.6 g/cm3) at maximum theoretical density. I think a loud explosion can be made from aluminized compositions. although aluminium (or any reactive metals such as magnesium or tungstun) will depress the detonation velocity of the charge, the burning of the metal with air after the dispersing of the charge (after-burning) will added energy to the blast wave (high overpressure) and for extended time thus, generating a long duration shock wave. So, at given distance aluminized explosive charge will yield better overpressure/duration than the non-aluminized counterpart. the aluminium can be mixed with the explosive or simply surrounding it ( this is called SDF or Shock-dispersed-fuel).

you may want to read a series of articles on SDF by A.L.KUHL, for charge design.

http://www.osti.gov/bridge/searchresults.jsp?formname=search...

Dany.

[Edited on 9-8-2013 by Dany]

Go To Top