(Brain)2NH
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-9-2013 at 07:08
Benzene ring with three phenoxides

hi all,

I wondered what would be the name of the following structure :

Name It.JPG - 11kB

And can this be made like simple mono-phenoxides, (Phenol + NaOH) ?
I mean do you think all this phenol groups will change to Pheoxides only by NaOH ?

TnX

RC(O)NH2 -----------> RNH2 !
Hoffman Rearrangement
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-9-2013 at 08:32

Just for your information, the thread tittle makes no sense. Your depiction shows the enolate form of the phloroglucinol trisodium salt. That is no "benzene ring with three phenoxides".
Quote: Originally posted by (Brain)2NH  
I wondered what would be the name of the following structure :

According to ChemSketch, its name is trisodium benzene-1,3,5-triolate. (you could have checked that yourself)
Quote:
And can this be made like simple mono-phenoxides, (Phenol + NaOH) ?

Just like with all the salts, its existence depends on the pKa values, crystal lattice stability and in this particular case also the isomeric stability. Some salts simply do not crystallize, some only exist in the amorphous form, same are stable only by coordination with additional ligands (for example, only as hydrates), etc.

The trianion of phloroglucinol was found to be predominantly in the enolate form in aqueous solutions (unlike the dianion which exists as the keto anion): see Zeitschrift für Naturforschung B 1993, 48, 478-482 (abstract can be found here). However, this does not necessarily mean that the same isomer is the most stable also in the solid state. Like is always the case, if you want to know if one compound exists, you need to do a literature search.
Quote:
I mean do you think all this phenol groups will change to Pheoxides only by NaOH ?

The predicted pKa3 of phloroglucinol is 11.8 (ChemAxon prediction), so that NaOH should deprotonate it nearly completely up to the trianion. However, dissolving phloroglucinol in three equivalents of aq. NaOH would not necessarily precipitate the desired salt. Most likely it would only give its aqueous solution. Obtaining the product from the solution might or might not be trivial. Rotavaping it might yield an amorphous solid or the product might crystallize as a stable hydrate. Short answer: check the literature.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top