Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Independent Research Project Ideas
Dariusrussell
Hazard to Self

Mood: Organometallics

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 16:09
Independent Research Project Ideas

This year for Chem I have to do an IRP, I thought I'd get some more ideas before I choose one. The guideline is studying a relationship, ie. The effect of sulfuric acid concentration on hydrolysis.
Does anyone want to weigh in some cool ideas. Limitations would be scheduled substances, known carcinogens, anything dangerous (HF, F, organic peroxides etc), labware is general organic no high pressure or inert atmosphere.
I'm not asking to be spoonfed procedures etc, just an idea would be fine.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 16:16

How about low-temperature magnetism of some rare-earth salts? I know dysprosium nitrate is one that shows such a characteristic, but it would be interesting to see what the other rare-earth nitrates do.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Dariusrussell
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 16:20

Thats an interesting one, [Nurdrage has a video on it] but that tops the list. I luckily have a source for (L)N2
Another idea I had was catalyzed hydrogenation of nitrobenzene to aniline. I could measure the yields based on what catalyst was used. Would this be feasible/reproducible?
[Edited on 3-10-2013 by Dariusrussell]

DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 22:35

If you can't manage inert atmosphere then how are you expecting to do a hydrogenation?

Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-10-2013 at 05:32

You need a flask, a septum, a couple of needles and a balloon for inert atmosphere. You need exactly the same equipment for hydrogenations at normal pressure.
And no, you certainly cannot do hydrogenations under non-inert conditions. You need to purge air out before you let the hydrogen in. Anything else would be calling for an accident (you don't want to expose Pd-C to a air-hydrogen mixture!).
So, DJF90 made a perfectly valid question.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Dariusrussell
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-10-2013 at 05:48

You're right he did, sorry for not answering it. I now don't plan on doing a hydrogenation without an inert atmosphere.

I still would like to do some type of study on the effects of different catalyst on a reaction, though something somewhat simpler.

Go To Top