Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Formation of nitrosamines
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 30-10-2013 at 10:55
Formation of nitrosamines

I did a little experiment in which I made nitrosamines. I found that the diethylnitrosamine can very easily be isolated as a yellow liquid:

http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/raw_material...

I did not keep the nitrosamine, I discarded it because of its potent carcinogenic properties. Are there any interesting uses of nitrosamines in the home lab, e.g. for nice experiments, or for making other chemicals? I could not find much info on Google, nearly all hits are about its carcinogenic properties.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 30-10-2013 at 12:00

A classic example of mad science. Care to make some dioxins next?

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2013 at 12:28

It can be reduced to N,N-diethylhydrazine with zinc amalgam. This hydrazine can be N-alkylated to give interesting N,N,N-trialkylhydrazonium salts. See DOI: 10.1007/s11176-005-0499-0 (attached)

Be careful!

Attachment: Synthesis of N,N-Diethylhydrazine and Its Reactions with Carboxylic Acids and Alkyl Halides.pdf (39kB)
This file has been downloaded 326 times

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 30-10-2013 at 13:02

Dimethylamine can be nitrosated into dimethylnitrosamine ((CH3)2N-N=O) wich after reduction leads to dimethylhydrazine...

Dimethylhydrazinium nitroformiate ((CH3)2N-NH2.HC(NO2)3) would be an interesting energetic salt.
Dimethylhydrazine on its own is used as rocket fuel; it should be able to form complex salts with Cu, Zn, Co, Ni and it may be used to make dimethylhydrazones with active carbonyls...

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 30-10-2013 at 18:18

One could reduce these nitrosamines to their respective hydrazines but alkylhydrazines are exceedingly toxic and carcinogenic as well. N-methyl-N-nitrosamides are related compounds that are precursors to diazomethane and are also toxic and mutagenic. The explosive "R-salt" is a nitrosamine.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 13:13

I made a few nitrosamines in the past, the most remarkable was the phenyl-methyl-nitrosamine what was made from N-methyl-aniline and nitrous acid. A slightly yellow oil what formed almost quantitative.

The most interesting part of this compound was that it had a really pleasant odor, reminded me to isovanilline. The bad part is, that it is described everywhere as a toxic, carcinogen, blablabla, ect. compound and the reduction of it to N-methyl-N-phenyl hydrazine failed with the methods what we tried out.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2013 at 13:35

I recently had reason to prepare dimethylnitrosamine as part of my experiments into the formation azides from hydrazine and as Woelen observed it is soluble in water. I tried extracting it with ether but yield was rather poor though after removal of the ether (by leaving in a shallow basin to evaporate the ether) I did recover a small amount of yellow oil but only about a fifth of what I expected.

Go To Top