Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FlashDelirium's Athenaeum
FlashDelirium
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

wink.gif posted on 22-11-2013 at 10:03
FlashDelirium's Athenaeum

As an abecedarian of chemistry, I will be chronicling free and helpful online information (videos, books, articles, etc.) for other wild-eyed novitiates. I will likely not stop until I can independently synthesize organic compounds (at least in theory).

As the Mad Science FAQ encourages, "It is okay to be ignorant when first arriving and posting. However, you must be willing to make an effort to learn." Consider me ignorant! For similarly-situated learners, I hope this compendium helps.

For absolute beginners, I first recommend The World of Chemistry. This is a mostly bird's-eye view of the discipline, with little technical detail (nonetheless, this gentle introduction covers many topics that can be subsequently studied with greater ease).

[Edited on 11/22/2013 by FlashDelirium]

Mad, adj. Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence. -- Ambrose Bierce
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 22-11-2013 at 10:06

Sounds good. Do you have any particular syntheses in mind?

[Edited on 11-22-2013 by elementcollector1]

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
FlashDelirium
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-11-2013 at 10:45

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
Sounds good. Do you have any particular syntheses in mind?

[Edited on 11-22-2013 by elementcollector1]

Nope. I'm just flat-out fascinated by this whole scientific field and its hobbyists. I'm still about as clueless as can be.

I hope this isn't too narcissistic of a thread; I am fairly committed to learning chemistry, and I figured tracking the online resources I am using could make a more linear trail for others.

Mad, adj. Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence. -- Ambrose Bierce
FlashDelirium
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-11-2013 at 11:04

I also recommend, as another user did two years ago, the "Chemistry" section on Khan Academy. I am not done viewing the entire video series, yet, but Khan has the rare ability to teach chemistry at the intuitive level (and he does not skimp on the needed details).

FlashDelirium
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 02:53

On the ever-expanding Coursera website, two upcoming courses are especially noteworthy for fledgling Mad Scientists.

One is Introduction to Chemistry, which starts in 12 days.

The other is Advanced Chemistry, which starts in 19 days.

I'm signed up for both! :)

Go To Top