Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Getting my first glassware!
Ein Chemiker
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

cool.gif posted on 13-12-2013 at 10:37
Getting my first glassware!

Pretty soon, I will be getting this glassware set http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kemtech-America-Synthware-Advanced-O...

It's getting colder so I don't expect to be doing too much work outside. I would like to know if there are any ways I could get acquainted with this equipment indoors without any risk to me, my pets, or my family. I would most likely be working on a wooden desk in my bedroom. Any help is appreciated!:)
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 13-12-2013 at 11:12

Have you ordered it and waiting for it in the mail, or are you about to order it? If the latter, buy a smaller kit. I prefer the 19 size, but as I understand it is hard to get glassware around this size in the US. My advice would be to go for 14/20. Flasks up to 500 mL are available. As a beginner in organic chemistry you won't be using huge flasks most of the time anyways, if you need some for e.g. solvent distillation, get a distillation bridge and some flasks for that. As an allround-kit I found 24/40 to be too big, especially if you're going to work out of your bedroom you're not going to run LAH reductions in 1 L flasks anyways. You also need to get some general, non-ground glassware such as beakers, erlenmeyers, stirring rods, test tubes etc as well as stands, clamps, heating sources and maybe some porcelain. Good luck setting up your first lab.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Ein Chemiker
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-12-2013 at 11:38

I am currently waiting for it in the mail along with everything you listed so I should be fairly equipped! I don't think I could return the kit so what do you think about buying smaller round bottoms? Thanks!
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-12-2013 at 11:39

Do you live in Germany? Judging by your username I thought you were ein Deutscher! If you are, there are plenty of much better and cheaper options.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-advanced-organic-chemistry-lab-g...

how does that appeal to you? it is chinese, but unless you will be dealing with extreme temp. changes you are fine.

just look for: ''24/40 round bottom flask'' on ebay

[Edited on 13-12-2013 by Pyro]

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 13-12-2013 at 11:44

Yeah, you definitely need some more RBFs. 50 and 100 mL are my go-tos, but if you're distilling something from a 50 mL RBF, a 24/40 setup with a 300 mm liebig is going to cause a great deal of mechanical loss. But anyways, get 50, 100 and 250 mL one-necks and a thermometer adapter and that kit will serve you well. When you find out that you want to do smaller-scale syntheses and distill small amounts of material, "branching out" to either 19/22 or 14/20 in addition to what you have will cover those needs. I have a lot of differently sized glassware and find that I mostly use 50-250 mL flasks and my 19/26 distillation bits, but I still want to get an even smaller 14/23 kit and a few more small flasks for parallel synths and later stages of multi-step syntheses.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Ein Chemiker
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-12-2013 at 12:11

I live in the US, I just like the way German looks:) The reason I chose the synthware kit is because I have heard some bad things about the Chinese made glass. I didn't even consider mechanical loss. I'm having a hard time finding a smaller joint size kit on ebay.

Go To Top