Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: How professional are your labs?
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 15:33

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
I'll have a lot better of a lab as an adult :/
I use a few rags as drying towels. I normally don't wait for glass to dry if i need it.

If you're just gonna put water back into the glass, you're wasting your time. A bit of acetone and a hair dryer works well when you don't have time to wait on drying. A wire basket in an oven on convect at ~110C will dry a lot of elaborate glass given an hour or so.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Hawkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Body is Ready

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 15:34

Y'know what would make a totally bomb lab? An RV....
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 15:53

Quote: Originally posted by Hawkguy  
a totally bomb lab

Ummmm . . .

Maybe not the best word choice?

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 17:25

Yea, that kind of stuff gets you banned. I'd watch it.
I honestly don't have enough acetone to waste it drying stuff.

j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 22:18

My lab is shared with a tool shed shared with a garden shed shared with leftover paint shared with storage of Christmas lights and whatnot shared with wood storage shared with the tail end of a whole lot of house renovation projects. In an earlier incarnation the shed was built as a chook pen. There are chicken footprints in the highly irregular concrete floor. It aint never going to look professional. It is a mess at the moment but the reality is that it is really just in its beginning stages of being a lab. I am waiting on some more chemicals and glassware that is on order.
When it is in the zone as a lab and everything else is cleared out of the way, I have an 8 foot heavy duty wooden bench, mains power, a bench power supply, a moveable trolley with glassware and other equipment, some open shelves for chemical storage and a couple of portable burners. I have water on tap not far away but no sink. I have a couple of suitable outdoor areas for energetic reactions or those that produce fumes. I have plans to make a stand that I can stick boss heads and clamps for holding glassware. And there is scope to build a reasonable fume hood. I think it will suffice for my purposes. My main concern is that it is not kid-safe But my repertiore has me steering away from toxic stuff for the most part and the whole area is a kid no-go zone anyway -- unless they are "helping Dad do science". (The Chemical Chameleon is always a favourite, but we generally do that in the kitchen.)
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

Mood: Vivified!

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 02:22

my living room is my main work space. But then out side i have a table that i amsure will grow more legs and come alive sooner or later with everthing that has been spilt on it.

I just made you read this very pointless signature. How does it feel?
Jylliana
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bubbly ^-^

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 04:37

Dry chemicals are sorted in 2 cabinets(alphabetically). The toxic ones are stored in another cabinet.
Acids and bases are in the same cabinet, but on different shelves. Organics are in a fireproof cabinet.
I have a foam fire extinguisher and a bucket of sand. Running tap and demineralized water. I have a 3m x 1m table to work on and a seperate fumehood.

Then again, i'm not rich, I use my workplace(a high school) as my hobby lab :)

[Edited on 30-10-2014 by Jylliana]

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 06:16

Make sure the chemicals you are storing alphabetically can be stored together safely. The last thing you want is an unextinguishable fire between an oxidizer and a flammable dispersing a nearby health hazard into the air. I physically separate my chemicals along the following categories:

I. General Storage (green)
II. Oxidizer (yellow)
III. Flammable (red)
IV. Corrosive - acids and bases stored separately (blue)
V. Health Hazard (orange)

Each are stored on a different shelf or in a different cabinet. My acids are stored in a big rubbermaid tub with a layer of baking soda to absorb fumes. Flammables are in a metal cabinet.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 31-10-2014 at 05:45

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Make sure the chemicals you are storing alphabetically can be stored together safely. The last thing you want is an unextinguishable fire between an oxidizer and a flammable dispersing a nearby health hazard into the air. I physically separate my chemicals along the following categories:

I. General Storage (green)
II. Oxidizer (yellow)
III. Flammable (red)
IV. Corrosive - acids and bases stored separately (blue)
V. Health Hazard (orange)

Each are stored on a different shelf or in a different cabinet. My acids are stored in a big rubbermaid tub with a layer of baking soda to absorb fumes. Flammables are in a metal cabinet.

You aught to do a 'blog post' on your lab. 'Twood be interesting.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top