Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nafion membrane?
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 05:30
Nafion membrane?

Anyone know the best place to buy some nafion membrane for an individual?After some (quick) looking I saw that store:

http://www.nafionstore.com/default.asp

But there price is absolutely abusurd.... 90$ shipping to Canada for a membrane, right... If possible, I look for teflon reinforced nafion.

Thanks!

I never asked for this.
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 09:34

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
But there price is absolutely abusurd.... 90$ shipping to Canada for a membrane, right... If possible, I look for teflon reinforced nafion.

Why is the price absurd? Nafion is not that easy to make, like a Dowex 50W or a Amberlite resin and it has unique properties, what makes it "valuable". Perfluorinated chemistry was and will be always expensive, the only product what is relatively cheap, is PTFE and trifluoroacetic acid.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 09:40

Are you annoyed about the absurd price of Nafion, or just the absurd shipping costs? The cost of Nafion is absurdly absurb to
an absurb extent, as you have undoubtedly discovered. One other place that you could check is here.

If you're trying the chloralkali process, one thing that might help in the design is that the anode and cathode compartments don't
need to be the same volume. A large cathode compartment may give a diluted product, but may enable the use of cheaper
membrane types, for example.
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 12:22

I was more annoyed by the shipping costs. I agree a square foot can easily wort 100$, but for a membrane of a few grams, 90$ shipping seams a bit, expensive?

I was in the mood of trying a tiny regular chloralkali cell. Maybe even an air cathode cell if I can manage to make a suitable cathode(I have doubts about that).

I wanted more teflon reinforced, because such fragile, I would not want to break them accidentally.

I never asked for this.
jock88
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 15:40

Often wondered would the stuff be available second hand. It must be replaced by industry now and again if you know where and when to look.
You could make Perchloric acid with the stuff.

Go To Top