Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Removal of gasses
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 09:48

Scrubbing acidic or caustic fumes/gases.

One of the things in chemistry surprising and annoying me most was the discovery that even strong acids and bases dont react so quickly and completely as one would think and often like to. Like the peaceful coexistance of methylamine in water and HCl gas which liked to walk just through despite frit and stirring like mad. At least it liked to sit on the surface and did not immideately fill the room.

Tried all the trick with inverted funnels and whatnotever.

Now I use a plastic can like a pillbox or such and put a hole on one side which fits on the schnöpfel of the vacuum adapter for example, and many small holes on the other end. This is filled (not stuffed) with a mix of cotton activated charcoal and citric acid for caustic fumes and the same but sodium carbonate replacing the citric for acidic vents. Slightly wettened those scrubbers have completely resolved the issue and it is astounding what small a box works again and again without refill, taking up serious amounts of exhaust releasing not a even a whiff.

The scrubber box is just put on the related outlet not needing anything to hold it as its is not very heavy and thats it.
Thinking back on the elaborated constructions of scrubbers with stirring, suckback valves, inverted funnels and meters of tubing which always got in the way with something else, I dont know if I should laugh or cry.

Today I laugh.
/ORG

Irgendwas is ja immer
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top