Author: Subject: tatp plastic form?
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 16:44

:o
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 20:23

Reading this makes me shudder. The thought of plasticizing TATP is just insane. Dont forget our old buddy "Phone" he is just one of many who walked the plank and paid with his life. There's so many alternatives why would one even consider doing something so dangerous? Not doing this and taking the advice above is a very good idea. They didn't nickname this substance "The mother of satan" for no reason.
Please be sure to post your results in the accidents thread.

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 15:00
God with you

Infospunge: If you are aged 70 years and you bored with life, keep research TATP. If you're young, you forget the word TATP. Plastic coating TATP is not interesting. Research nobody will do. Each of you only scold. Every experienced, I think. God with you ...:cool:...LL
franklyn
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 00:51

The MEKP + TACP blend has been discussed elsewhere. That brew is intended to improve the lackluster explosive performance of MEKP by fortifying with the better performing TACP , while one supposes , retaining the safer properties of liquid MEKP. I suppose one can reduce the MEKP proportion until the mixture is no longer a liquid solution but rather a plastic mass. This however will not diminish to the same extent the danger inherent to handling TACP and may actually increase the risk of it being exploded unintentionally. I'm only thinking out loud here , the consensus of opinion weighs against handling peroxides as being risky.

For a better alternative see _
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9201#p...

Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 01:13

I agree that not doing this would be a good idea, but note that many professional scientists have less practical experience with energetics than amateurs, since many countries heavily regulate research on such things. This, coupled with the fact that many beginners experiment unsystematically and with too large amounts and thus kill or maim themselves, cause TATP to have a reputation for sensitivity that, in my opinion, is worse than deserved.
I have met university professors and lab technicians that won't synthesize even microscopic amounts of NG, for fear of spontaneous detonation.

I don't think it would be too dangerous to experiment with plasticizing small (<1 gram) amounts of TATP, provided that you take adequate precautions (don't use your hands for kneading it, wear protective clothing and face shield, etc.).
Hennig Brand
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 09:13

I have made and used MEKP + TATP liquid mixtures before before. I was reading some posts by Rosco at the time, but I would have to dig to find them. I remember that the mixture I used was an extremely good sensitizer for ammonium nitrate; 5% or so, IIRC, made a charge sensitive to a #6 equivalent cap. It does however produce quite toxic and irritating fumes, and it is more of an unknown quantity and weaker compared to some of the other better known explosives, so I never really bothered with it much after a couple of tests. I think the extra effort required to produce NG is well worth it. If one was interested in it though, it probably could be gelled or made into part of a plastic mass somehow.

I agree that TATP has almost certainly been given a much worse reputation than deserved. It is often made and used in such large quantities in careless fashion by the inexperienced, due in large part because it is so easy and cheap to make in large quantity. It is of course a primary explosive, and it is often handled like it was a moderately sensitive secondary. I remember how nervous I was the first couple of times I made NG. I had heard all the overblown stories since I was a child of the NI3 type sensitivity of NG. One of my neighbors worked in the mines and had taken several explosives safety courses. I remember him saying that a container of NG could be gently rocked back and forth, but if any sloshed back on itself and splashed at all that it would all detonate. I was amazed at how insensitive NG actually was, at room temperature, when I actually became more familiar with it years later. Don't get me wrong, NG still deserves a lot of respect and care in manufacturing and handling.

[Edited on 8-1-2015 by Hennig Brand]

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 12:02

@ Hennig Brand

I too recall my first NG synthesis, and failing to set it off in the manner I used to set off MEKP. Imagine my surprise when a last, frustrated strong overhand blow of a hammer caused an concussion that knocked dust off the rafters. I was hooked. :)

I also enjoyed the sheer energy of the stuff compared to equivalent volumes of peroxides, peeling surprisingly large holes through witness plates rather than bending them.

Unfortunately I had not gained the ability to nitrate anything before I made stupid quantities of the peroxides...

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=20&...

Hennig Brand
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 18:21

Yeah, NG is wonderful stuff. It doesn't work in most military applications, due in large part because of its sensitivity (explosives made with it tend to detonate when supersonic bullets pass through them, or from the setback of a gun), but other than that it is an extremely versatile material. Even one or two drops hit with a hammer on a steel surface is really impressive. I used to do it without hearing protection as well, which was not sensible at all. When a drop or two would detonate I remember going deaf for a second or so and then my ears would ring for a long time afterwards. If I have serious hearing problems later in life it will be no surprise. I try to be a lot more careful of my ears and other body parts now. :)

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
maxenzo2
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-2-2015 at 11:14

Quote: Originally posted by MCtiaguinho  
i want to see plasticized NI3 ;D

i beleve i could do it to tatp.
any ideas?

Thank you

oh no :O not another one fucking up things here in the country with stupidity,chemicals to make energetics is getting harder to find(or even for other uses including their intent ex: ammonium nitrate as fertilizer),some day i will need to show my ID just to buy baking soda.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top