Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: making sulfur
rocketscience
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-11-2004 at 12:33
making sulfur

Is there any possible way to make sulfur from a sulfate or sulfuric acid?
HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-11-2004 at 19:41

Not really answering your question, but I can buy several pounds of it for about $3 as soil sulfur. :cool:

\"In the beginning, God...\" Wait a minute, God doesn\'t exist!!!!!!!!!! \"OK, in the beginning, ummm, hydrogen...\" Wait a minute, what about the laws of thermodynamics? \"OK, in the beginning, ummm.....UMMMMM, what\'s left to choose from?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 25-11-2004 at 20:07

Well, there are a few different topics on this forum that might have the easy answer just buy it, but then again this forum isn't about just buying most things. However reducing sulfuric acid to sulfur would be a pain in the butt, the only things that really come to mind right now involve things like:

React boiling sulfuric acid with copper to get SO2, dissolve the SO2 in water till saturated then add zinc dust to reduce the sulfurous acid in solution to ZnS2O4, to this solution add HCl to produce a solution of H2S2O4 which will decompose along two paths:

4H2S2O4 + 4H2O —> 5H2SO4 + 3H2S

H2S2O4 —> H2SO4 + S

Of course you see sulfur being formed in the second reaction. You could take the H2S being formed and react it with a calculated amount of oxygen according to:

H2S + 1/2O2 ---> H2O + S

This process is used industrially for some reason. I'm sure you could heat sulfuric acid with some reducing agent directly to form the reduced series of oxoacids which could decompose to form sulfur. Additionally thermite type mixtures with sulfates may will yield sulfur dioxide which could be reacted as above, elemental sulfur which would volatize off, and possibly metal sulfides which can be reacted to produce sulfur depending on the metal cation to which it is associated with.

But this is chemistry, so there are other ways.....

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
rocketscience
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-11-2004 at 20:09

from where and is it vary pure
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 25-11-2004 at 20:16

Finding a source for sulfur is as easy as searching google (it's of course widely used in pyrotechnics so it's sources have been very heavily discussed) or just as easily by searching 'sulfur' in the 'Reagents and Apparatus Acquistion' section here on the forum.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Blackout
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-11-2004 at 19:54

Does there is a way to extract sulfur from CaSO4, witch is more available then sulfuric acid?

\"Si vis pacem, para bellum.\"
\"If you wish for peace, prepare for war.\"
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 26-11-2004 at 20:21

A decomposition product of CaSO4 at high temperatures (800-1100C?) is SO2+SO3. This could, theoretically, be harnessed to manufacture H2SO4, which could then be processed as BromicAcid outlined.

Sounds more trouble than it's worth though, even if it does is works.

EDIT: If you can pull this off, you probably have the ability to buy pure sulfur, legally....

[Edited on 2004-11-27 by axehandle]

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 27-11-2004 at 05:06

You obviously know (as well as all) that sulfur can be bought cheaply and easily from gardening supply, etc.

Can i ask why you are deciding to make it? Is it for curiosity, or you cant get it, or you need very pure sulfur?
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-11-2004 at 07:21

That reminds me - how much selenium is there on average in sulfur obtained from mining volcanic deposits of it, from extracting it through drilled holes as molten sulfur from deep deposits in sedimentary rocks, and obtained as a byproduct of oil refining (hydrodesulfurization, to remove thiophene etc.)? Selenium would be the most likely impurity.
HNO3
Hazard to Others

smile.gif posted on 27-11-2004 at 13:55

According to my1954 Encyclopedia Brittanica, crude sulfur or brimstone in the USA is 99.5-99.9% pure and free from arsenic, selenium, and tellurium.Italy's best grade sulfur is marketed as best seconds and is 99.5% pure.

\"In the beginning, God...\" Wait a minute, God doesn\'t exist!!!!!!!!!! \"OK, in the beginning, ummm, hydrogen...\" Wait a minute, what about the laws of thermodynamics? \"OK, in the beginning, ummm.....UMMMMM, what\'s left to choose from?
HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-11-2004 at 20:15

Sorry about this, but I can't edit. I got my soil sulfur at ACE. the bag says it is 90% sufur, but from my experience with it, it it is more like 99% pure. ( I really need to ignite a sample to see how much ash there is in it):cool:

Go To Top