Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Why does bromine act as a promoter in oxidation reactions?
Electra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-2-2014 at 03:53
Why does bromine act as a promoter in oxidation reactions?

In much of my research I seem to see bromine being used as a catalytic promoter in oxidation reactions. Whether in the form of NaBr, HBr, or many other forms.

NaBr seems to be one of the more popular forms due to its ease of handling and commercial availability. What role does the bromine ion play in the oxidation of various hydrocarbons? Does it act as a partial C-H bond activator?
Aconite
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-2-2014 at 11:52

This question is waaaaaaay too ambiguous/nebulous. Can you be more specific, perhaps with an example of what you're talking about?
Cheers-
Electra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-2-2014 at 13:37

Yeah, you're right, sorry about that. I figured out my answer... with about 10 hours of research later.

I was mainly doing research on Oxidation of Aryl-Alkanes with Colbalt and Hydrogen Peroxide in acetic acid. Apparently Colbalt can oxidize the Aryl-alkane to the Aryl-Aldehyde or the Carboxylic Acid, where as NaBr as a bromine ion source acts as a promoter preventing further oxidation of the aldehyde to the carboxylic acid. I've since closed out the links and taken my notes down, if I can find them again I'll put them up.

Go To Top