Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: no chemistry in your school
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 08:18

There will be no blanket statement for all schools ike
Quote:
I think we can all agree that, if you really want to learn chemistry, school is the last place you should go...
implies. Some schools will have good curricula, and some bad. Mine hasn't been great, very recursive until the middle of my H. Biology class, where we studied chemical cycles in cells, ATP generation, etc. I assume it will get better next year with H. Chemistry, but I can only assume.

AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 14:21

I also previously even mentioned on SM that I suffered under a gym/chemistry 'teacher'.

I believe that the attack on democracies (certainly in USA) has progressed by the intentional de-edification of the populace. Democracies can only function progressively through informed voters. And, as an information source, I am not talking about bias attack ads funded by billionaires on those who have no schooling in economics or any understanding of rationale fiscal policies, or knowledge in pure sciences.

I am actually a fan of the Chinese controlled economy model where, when corruption/misdeeds are exposed, the guy in charge gets executed.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 07:10

Yet at the same time under that system, many of those who are the most corrupt and powerful get a free pass because they simply own too much to be taken down. Not that it's any different in the US in that regard, like with the banks and auto companies.
Anyway though... this is now beginning to get dangerously off topic, sorry.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 09:39

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Quote:
I think we can all agree that, if you really want to learn chemistry, school is the last place you should go...
implies. Some schools will have good curricula, and some bad. Mine hasn't been great, very recursive until the middle of my H. Biology class, where we studied chemical cycles in cells, ATP generation, etc. I assume it will get better next year with H. Chemistry, but I can only assume.

The Volatile Chemist, I think any student who is on this site should be qualified enough to take AP Chemistry. Is it available at your school?

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 11:07

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
Quote:

The Volatile Chemist, I think any student who is on this site should be qualified enough to take AP Chemistry. Is it available at your school?

Thanks for thinking so!
My last teacher said I have the know how to. My school offers it, but I have to take honors first, or try to take a pass/fail test. I could pass it, but if I took AP this year instead of honors, I'd only be able to tke one year of chemistry classes :) Besides, my parents don't think too highly of my chemistry "skills"/knowledge, and wouldn't let me skip a class anyways.

[Edited on 6-8-2014 by The Volatile Chemist]

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 11:41

Yep, I took Pre-AP Chemistry last year and that was all pretty basic, I knew most everything already, but it was worth it for the extra year of chemistry class! Next year I'm taking AP, and I've worked out a plan with my teacher for my senior year to have a period for independent chemistry study/being a teacher's assistant. That should be fun, since I'll hopefully have more access to the school lab equipment for stuff that I want to do. It should look good for college applications too.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 25-8-2014 at 18:05

Today was my first day of school this year. I'm already impressed by my school's AP chemistry class, because we immediately did a lab in which we used chromatography to compare the behaviors of different metal ions and use them to identify three unknown ones. We used the nitrates of silver, cobalt(II), copper(II), iron(III), and mercury(II). I was pleasantly surprised that we were allowed to use a mercury compound in a lab. I thought that chemophobia would have at least been at that level at my school. My teacher explained that she'd never let chem 1 students use mercury compounds, but she feels like she can trust AP chem students to be sensible. So, the overall first impression of the class was quite good to me. It seems too that since there is only one fairly small AP chemistry class, there is less concern about using more valuable reagents like silver nitrate. I'm looking forward to a good year in that class, especially since I get to have it everyday, whereas most classes at my school are only every other day.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 25-8-2014 at 20:40

zts16, your school sounds awesome. Mine was pretty cool and trusted us too; we did flame tests, spectrometry, worked with strong acids, etc. But unless you go somewhere pretty good for university, prepare to have your expectations quickly deflated by college courses later on. At least that was my experience with being in college.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 26-8-2014 at 10:48

I'm about to go to university (first year) and I can start taking organic chem courses right off the bat! Though I go to university in October (we get a late start this year)

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 12:23

That's cool zts and B&F! Since I'm in 10th grade, the highest they'll let me take is honors chem, which is ok, but not too great. At least I'll be able to help others. Can't wait for AP chem next year, but this year will be fine.

bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 12:44

I just started 8th grade and supposedly we'll be covering the chemistry section of physical science that we skipped before. :)

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 14:01

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  
I just started 8th grade and supposedly we'll be covering the chemistry section of physical science that we skipped before. :)

Wow, Bismuthate! I didn't know you were younger than I. Great job on the forums so far, for going into 8th. I guess I'm only 15, and going into 10th, but you've contributed a lot to the forum for your age. Great work! Turn some heads when the teacher asks some chemistry questions, okay? :)
In all honesty, of course, don't brag about your knowledge. But congrats on what you know!

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 14:43

Can't wait for AP chem next year, but this year will be fine.

Get out of honors chem.

You won't regret it. Sciencemadness has probably given you enough info to get you out of AP chem as well.

bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 15:12

The Volatile Chemist: Thanks!
Brain&Force: but the problem is that if we don't take all the science classes our schools offer. Will that make it harder to go to a good college for chemistry (or have accepted results)?
I wonder if it would be better just to take the class for an easy A and get credit for completing the class.

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 15:17

I don't see any reason to not take it. I'm mainly taking it for fun. Since I have to go to school for other things anyway, I figure that I might as well dedicate a couple class periods to something chemistry related. Much more interesting than testing out. Next period we're making potassium ferrioxalate. Well, we're actually supposed to be making an unidentified green compound using potassium oxalate and ferric chloride and then titrating it with potassium permanganate to determine its formula, but you know, pretty obvious what it's supposed to be. Sure, it gets a little bit frustrating when my teacher tells me that I need to be showing more work on my molarity calculations or some other really simple thing that's automatic for me, but I think it's worth taking the class for the lab time that it provides. It's usually the best part of my school day.

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  
Brain&Force: but the problem is that if we don't take all the science classes our schools offer. Will that make it harder to go to a good college for chemistry (or have accepted results)?
I wonder if it would be better just to take the class for an easy A and get credit for completing the class.

Edit: (Your post popped up around the same time as mine) I think he was meaning that it's better to test out of the classes rather than taking them. I don't really agree though, because I think it's great to be able to get some lab time during the school day. Instead, I'm taking the shortcuts on the classes that I'm not as interested in, like history and English. So, just as much credit, just as much time saved, and a more interesting schedule overall.
And yeah, it's definitely an easy A. I got a 98 on the final exam last year in pre-AP chemistry without touching the review. I'm sure that you guys would have similar results.

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by zts16]

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 15:31

Understandable if you enjoy lab classes - but it may be possible to skip a grade by skipping out of a single class, depending on credits needed.

As for molarity calcs being too short, I got that ALL THE TIME in my classes.

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 15:41

Well, I might still be able to graduate early (I'm a junior now). After this year I'll have all required math credits done because I did Algebra 1 in 8th grade, all of my required history done because I took a dual credit history class over the summer, and I'm taking a dual credit English class next summer, so I'll have all of that done too. I really hope that I don't have to go back to school next year, because if I do I'll have nothing left to do.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 16:04

Yea, I like taking labs, I guess. I've taken enough classes early, that I will have no required classes senior year, and 3 junior. I think I will be taking courses at my state college those years.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top