Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Olive oil and KOH
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 11:31

Hopefully last question then not to bother you again. I read from wikpedia that oleic is an oily lard like substance. I see a couple of commercial sites where it is sold as a liquid. So my question is how do they store oleic acid as a liquid, I just dissolved some in ethanol, but is this good for my purposes, for example when asked to use 5mLs, if I mix stoichiometric amounts with ethanol to get a correct solution? Or keep it in the fridge, as is at the moment where it is hard, and melt the mLs that I require? Sorry about these basic questions, but reading and studying the theory behind fatty acids and structures unfortunately does not help me with the practical issue at this moment in time. Thanks.

[Edited on 17-4-2014 by CHRIS25]

[Edited on 17-4-2014 by CHRIS25]

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 12:13

I enjoy discussing experimental problems, so DO bother again.

You can work out the weight of 5ml oleic acid from it's liquid density and then simply cut and weigh that from your semi-solid. The solid will dissolve in your parrafin when you add it. If you're following a ferrofluid procedure, then best not to change it if you can, for this reason I wouldn't recommend alcoholic solutions, unless the recipe calls for it.

As for the liquid commercial products, I think they are much purer and so melt close to their literature value (13-14C). It should only be lard like if stored cold!

Remember your product contain appreciable amounts of both polyunsaturated fatty acids as well as saturated ones. That really messes up the phase behaviour, probaby why you don't get a hard lard like phase when cold nor melting promptly above 14C.

[Edited on 17-4-2014 by deltaH]

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 12:34

Yes ok I understand. Unfortunately I posted a new thread regarding this paraffin problem I have. It is in the beginners section because I felt, as a beginner, i should not really continue in the organic section where I think mostly very intelligent people reside asking very intelligent questions:( . I would not mind if you could, when moments allow, take a look for me.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 12:51

I have tons of threads in beginners too. Also, many of these 'intelligent' questions have nothing to do with intelligence :P I'll try to contribute as soon as I can, just a little swamped with so many things of late!

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 13:05

Thankyou

CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-5-2014 at 12:18
Oleic acid

Is my Oleic acid able to be purified via a simple distillation? I can only seem to discover that it can't due to the presence of other polyunsaturated fatty acids. But these commercial papers are dealing with complex stuff so I am not sure whether this applies to my humble conglomeration.

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 25-5-2014 at 16:36

That would depend on how good your hot plate is. Oleic acid boils at 360°C so it would require a long time to heat up to temperature to distill it, basically it's similar to sulfuric acid in the fact that it's nonvolatile. That's just assuming that your oleic acid is pure, I'm not sure about azeotropes or other fatty acids.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 25-5-2014 at 19:21

Quote: Originally posted by CHRIS25  
Is my Oleic acid able to be purified via a simple distillation?

Very unlikely. That is a very high temperature. Methyl oleate would be a better intermediate and I still wouldn't try without at least aspirator strength vacuum. For ferrofluid, I wouldn't bother at all. The crude mix of fatty acids should be quite sufficient as a surfactant.

I now make soap as a small business...would you guys like me to throw together a quick writeup on how to go from olive oil to mixed fatty acids in 2 hours, tops?

In return, does anyone have a reliable ferrofluid writeup? I have seen a lot of preparations that vary pretty widely and am not sure which would work best.

[Edited on 5-26-14 by UnintentionalChaos]

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-5-2014 at 21:34

Thankyou that was it. Unintentional chaos: have you seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPwIeoMFjJE I have seen a lot of rubbish but this is professionally presented and involves making everything.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top